Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon - Best target temperature?

Rui Guerra

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2016
Messages
274
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Location
Portugal
Website
www.photoguerra.pt
I'm wondering what is the best target temperature for Weapon Magnesium, regarding image quality?

I know that a lower temperature yields a shorter warmer time and a faster/noisier fan speed. But, if sound is not a concern, should we always try to run de Weapon at the coolest setting to get the best image quality (since usually hot sensors and CPUs means more digital noise)?

Thanks!
 
put it on adaptive mode and the brain will control the fans for its needs

Thanks, Chad, but my question is not about how to control the fans to achieve a certain target temperature. What I wonder is what target temperature should one choose, that is, what's the best temperature for the highest image quality.
 
Last edited:
It's been my experience that for 'optimal image quality'- you need to take into consideration a few things when looking at Exposure Time and Sensor Temp. I am not aware of a singular target temp, although perhaps someone else might be. I usually run around 40º C.

Your optimal temperature is when your E/T readings for (your sensor's user CalMap) are tuned appropriately (green) to your custom Black Shade Calibration, based on your shooting environment temp combined with your desired shutter angle/speed. So both how long your camera takes to "warm up" (or what temperature it can handle before you see yellow+, for example) and image quality are affected by this. Many people like 1/24. I prefer 1/120 since I regularly shoot higher FPS and like to keep an angle as close to 180º, when I do. I can get up to just beneath 1/500th before seeing yellow, at 1/120. However, you'd need to change this (Black Shade/Shutter Speed) to move back down for things like open gate, etc. to avoid noise- ie. the "optimal picture quality" you are looking for. Please read, this is a great existing RedUser post by Mark Pederson:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?111628-BLACK-SHADING-For-Dummies-amp-Experts

Sorry if you know all of this already, wasn't sure from your question.. cheers!
 
Hi Dustin,
Thanks a lot for your helpfull answer. I know the theory about black shading but I hadn't made the obvious connection between it and the absence of a singular target temperature that will give the best image quality. I was wondering that in spite of black shading, there could be an optimal target temperature, since it is somehow independent from the ambient temperature (because the fans can control it in some extend).

I will take the time to read carefully the post you sent me. Thanks for that also!

Cheers,
 
I don't believe their is a singular best temperature because it's relative to the environmental temperature. On an incredibly hot day, you would do best to black shade for a higher temperature so the camera has a better chance of maintaing it's internal temperature. With the reverse being true for colder days.

I get your logic about increased heat and it's relation to digital noise. However, I believe that black shading is designed specifically to eliminate, or at the very least ameliorate, that issue.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Marcus.

I've read a lot about RED sensor temperature and in fact I couldn't find any reference to a since best temperature. If it exists, RED didn't publish it. Maybe RED cameras are so good that they perform equally great at no matter what target temperature, if one keeps inside the green limits of the CAL indications, regarding the black shading in use.

Cheers,
 
No worries.

And you seem to be correct in your assessment. I don't know what voodo is going on under the hood either, but I do know that when your T/E meter is green, you are good to go!
 
Back
Top