Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Vista Possible?

Chris Swartz

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
53
Website
www.digitalmonolith.com
Hey,

I know using Vista is not supported, but have any of you guys been getting it to work relatively stable. All I really need is to be able to view the clips, not output them. I had it up and running on XP 64, but it kept bombing out for no real reason, even after I dumped the settings everytime I opened the app.

Any tricks to make this work. I have read about running and installing in XP compatability mode.


Thanks for the help,

Chris
 
Hey,

I know using Vista is not supported, but have any of you guys been getting it to work relatively stable. All I really need is to be able to view the clips, not output them. I had it up and running on XP 64, but it kept bombing out for no real reason, even after I dumped the settings everytime I opened the app.

Any tricks to make this work. I have read about running and installing in XP compatability mode.


Thanks for the help,

Chris

If it's bombing out, there's probably a good reason!

My guess is that the NVidia drivers are completely different and typically incompatible with most GPU-based software.

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
Luki,

I knew I was asking for trouble with XP64, but I needed bigger than 2 TB for a raid array I was using, not to mention only 3 gig of RAM. How do you guys deal with all these limitations in XP32?

I'm sure it's an Nvidia driver problem. No bad mouthing Redcine here, I know it's only recommended for XP32. I understand the difficulties getting a new program up and stable on one OS let alone 5 or 6 flavors. Good luck, and will it run at all on Vista?

Chris
 
I knew I was asking for trouble with XP64, but I needed bigger than 2 TB for a raid array I was using, not to mention only 3 gig of RAM. How do you guys deal with all these limitations in XP32?

By using Server2003, which does not have the 2TB LUN limitation and shares NVidia drivers w/XP. And since REDCINE is a 32-bit app, it cannot address more than 3G of memory anyway, no matter how much RAM you cram into the box.

I'm sure it's an Nvidia driver problem. No bad mouthing Redcine here, I know it's only recommended for XP32. I understand the difficulties getting a new program up and stable on one OS let alone 5 or 6 flavors. Good luck, and will it run at all on Vista?

It may run on Vista. I don't know. :) I do know that whenever you mention Vista to anyone at NVidia, they shudder... reminds me of the "Frau Blucher" moment in Young Frankenstein. I wouldn't recommend it.

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
I have two Dells running XP-32 and Vista-32.
When I have problem on XP I do have problem with Vista and vice versa.
So Vista is good so far as long as you stay with 32 bit

I use NVIDIA GF8700 on both computers.
 
we have tested three 32 vista systems on older workstations, quad xeon GF7800 runs, dual AMD GF 8600 runs, dual xeon GF 6600 only black on startup.

beginning march we will put it on more of the vista stations in order to complete the vista migration.
 
I have tried running Redcine on Vista and saw many bugs. Black in the viewport, buttons were missing text. I don't remember which graphics card I was running but I do know Vista is not supported at this point. I would recommend users stick with XP 32 SP2, it works.

Kevin
 
RC will not even start on a DELL laptop with vista and ATI drivers! LOL
 
Back
Top