Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Vimeo: leave tips & pay per view

this is awesome, especially the pay to view. I think it will be great if they furthered the service to a pay to download, and we can sell our stuff. What makes this nice over iTunes, you can avoid the bureaucracy of getting content on there. Especially if you can drive your own clients.

Great news!!
 
this is awesome, especially the pay to view. I think it will be great if they furthered the service to a pay to download, and we can sell our stuff. What makes this nice over iTunes, you can avoid the bureaucracy of getting content on there. Especially if you can drive your own clients.

Great news!!

That's exactly what I was thinking; plus if your stuff isn't good enough, it won't be long before people just don't tip you (meaning quality *has* to go up).

And, yeah, it'd be great if there was a "download original for $xx" (especially if the DL was 4k+ : ) but the problem is there'd be a lack of copyright protection (music, logos, licenses, etc.), whereas if it's a non-mandatory "tip" it's essentially charity which I believe would absolve Vimeo of a lot of potential legal headache (as they, too, could be held accountable for not ensuring IP protection, despite being written in their TOS). In either case, this is a pretty big deal and much better than Youtube's offerings (in my opinion.)

Vimeo is going to get super rich from this.
 
Last edited:
That's exactly what I was thinking; plus if your stuff isn't good enough, it won't be long before people just don't tip you (meaning quality *has* to go up).

And, yeah, it'd be great if there was a "download original for $xx" (especially if the DL was 4k+ : ) but the problem is there'd be a lack of copyright protection (music, logos, licenses, etc.), whereas if it's a non-mandatory "tip" it's essentially charity which I believe would absolve Vimeo of a lot of potential legal headache (as they, too, could be held accountable for not ensuring IP protection, despite being written in their TOS). In either case, this is a pretty big deal and much better than Youtube's offerings (in my opinion.)

Vimeo is going to get super rich from this.

I'm not so worried about copyright, all of the series I have done have been ripped off, digitized and put on torrent sites. One series has been downloaded 100,000 times or more where I have ZERO control. I've very intrigued by a download, and did not even think of 4k downloads, that would really make it worth the headaches and cash of working in 4k. People will be desperate for 4k content once TV and projects come out. I think 100$ for a movie is high, but selling a documentary at 10$ in 4k would be worth it.

The tip thing is great for amateurs, but I think TV industry is caught in limbo right now, it's difficult make money off of content. Not to mention, it gives life to older SD projects I have. How many people here would pay 99 cents to see a cool 1-hour documentary I did about Tequila. Or with 500,000 people visiting the Serengeti every year, my next series can be better then a lonely planet book. Each episode only needs to generate 100-500 dollars a year to be a success for me where I have 50+ episode of various series. Online is opening up, but it is still not there yet.

I think if Viemo targets indie filmmakers, documentary filmmakers, and licences popular shows to sell they will be a great force then youtube.
 
Back
Top