Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

URGENT - RPZ 18-50 Lens stuck

Jagdish Waran

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2013
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
San Francisco, CA
Hi Pro's

I was in a hurry so I did not mount the RPZ 18-50mm properly now its kind of stuck and I cannot unmount anymore.
So I tried to unscrew PL mount from the body and then tried its very tight and i could not lift the lens out. Any thoughts?

Please help me.

Thanks
Jagz
 
Is this Titanium or AL....???If its AL the heat thing might just make it tighter.. aluminum will contract quite a bit when chilled so the parts will get smaller by a very small amount if chilled... So putting the lens with the stuck PL mount in the freezer or refrigerator might do the trick better than making all the parts expand by heating..What kind of not properly mounting are we talking about.. Completely not right or just sort of twisted to the next flange on the PL as in not lined up with the slot on the top right if you looking at the camera PL mount. Try putting the lens and mount back on the camera.. Some times if you have the lens mounted and set the camera with lens upwards towards the sky you will take some of the weight off the mount and you can get it off. This helps due to the fact that the weight of the lens can bind the mount part when not supported so pointing the camera with lens on skyward might help a bit and it will help keep things in line a bit more than on the tripod or on the ground... Also applying just a small amount of downward pressure to help take some of the pressure off of the flange of the PL mount might help move things along.

Remember all these moves should be done with the minimal amount of pressure as possible so you don't damage the lens, camera or the mount part of the camera..

Also and I hate to even mention this but hey if its stuck.... if you can get the lens to twist just a very small amount back and forth while applying pressure in the loosen direction on the PL mount ring at the same time you might be able to get it to start to loosen. This would be a gentle back and forth movement with the lens Good luck. And if all else fails send the mount and lens off to a good lens house or RED and see what they come up with.
 
Can you take a few photos - would help diagnose the problem.
 
take the mount off the camera as you've already done. put the front lens cover on if you already haven't. lay the lens down front side down so the mount is sticking up in the air. have your buddy hold the lens body with two hands. then you grasp the PL mount with both hands and turn. apply pressure downward like Russ said. that will take the pressure off the mount so you can make the turn. you may want to warm up your muscles before attempting this. it could be a workout if done properply.
 
I've had it happen when someone tightened the mount when the pins weren't properly lined up. Just takes some luck and a little force by taking the pressure off the mount by holding the lens up or down and doing everything else, wiggling it etc to try to get something to move.
 
Good point Jason, I forgot to mention that you should have the lens cover on during all of these efforts to try to remove. And it might not be a bad idea to put a pice of tape over the back part of the mount when its off the camera to keep that area behind the lens and in the Pl mount clean from any thing dropping in to that area.
 
Hello All,

Thanks for you kind suggestion, with all your help I took the lens off from PL mount.

But the sad thing is I damaged the 1 out of 4 contact pin went inside on the TI PL mount. I tried with the Zeiss Super speed after that it works fine, but I just want to know if this is okay to keep or get it repaired by RED


Please let me know

Thanks
Jagz
 
Hello All,

Thanks for you kind suggestion, with all your help I took the lens off from PL mount.

But the sad thing is I damaged the 1 out of 4 contact pin went inside on the TI PL mount. I tried with the Zeiss Super speed after that it works fine, but I just want to know if this is okay to keep or get it repaired by RED


Please let me know

Thanks
Jagz

Only a few models of lenses use those contacts for transmitting lens metadata to the camera. They are optional to use. Most people don't need them. So I'd say the repair is also optional.

But if the broken pin is still there hanging partially off, you definitely want to avoid the damaged pin breaking off and falling inside the camera, or being there fouling lenses.
You could cover those pins with a bit of thin tape like electricians insulating tape (downside it may prevent lenses seating properly and the adhesive may go gooey after a while).

Alternatively AFTER FIRST TURNING THE CAMERA OFF AND REMOVING ALL POWER SOURCES INCLUDING BATTERY IN THE SIDE HANDLE and waiting a minimum of 10 secs for any electrical charge to dissipate, carefully and gently remove the broken pin. Obviously the warranty on your lens mount is already void, but you want to avoid shorting out anything electrical which could damage the camera body.
 
Back
Top