Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Uncompressed Output Module - Still possible?

Zack Birlew

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Location
Las Vegas
Website
www.babsdoproductions.com
Hi, guys, I was just looking over the storage options for the RED One and now that compatible SSD's aren't even sold by RED anymore, won't there eventually be a point where you can't record anything out of the camera save for non-RAW output from HD-SDI? I'm thinking further down the line here and, granted, older cameras eventually do become obsolete in some fashion with time. However, this might be speeding up for the RED One and CF cards are nice but stunted at 16gb and, if I've read correctly, unable to record every possible compression and framerate. So, what about RED putting the uncompressed output module back on the table as a last resort? It might cost what a used RED One is going for these days or maybe even a little more but it would increase the longevity of the camera for quite some time. The module might even open up third parties to come up with recorders and alternative storage solutions as well. It may be a deadend idea as the RED One is EOL but it was just a thought. Another idea might be for a third party module? I had wondered why that hasn't happened before either.
 
You're saying that the SSD's currently being sold in the Red store are no longer compatible with the Red One? I can't imagine anyone making a new module for the Red One, but I would hope you could at least buy decent media for it.
 
Yeah, I was looking on the store and all there is is 48GB and 240GB which it specifically says don't work with the RED One. I would have thought they'd still have the other capacity options but all there is besides that are the Minimags for Scarlet and Epic and no Minimag module exists for the RED One. Personally I'd rather use SSDs than CF cards which are still available. :/
 
Actually, what would be a complete fix for the whole situation is RED or someone else coming up with a 1.8" version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/CFAST-SATA-Adapter-Inch-Housing/dp/B00BD882IA

CFast should work wonders as an alternative to the current dilemma of limited RED One SSD options. RED would not only be satisfying the lower end with a relatively inexpensive storage solution but also future proofing the cameras with a newer storage option. All they'd have to do is make it completely compatible with the 1.8" SSD Module and, if they wanted to, a version for the Minimag module for newer cameras.

The only other thing I could think of is a straight 1.8" REDMag dummy connector to third party SSD or SSD RAID tether solution. Surely there are newer SSDs that could run RED One and MX-level data rates and, if not, then a dual drive setup could do, much like the Odyssey 7Q+ does for Sony RAW by splitting odd and even frames back and forth and recompiling afterwards.
 
Back
Top