Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Tree of Life-stunning!

It was also projected on film tonight, and the projection was TERRIBLE. Super wobbly. Terry would have a heart attack if he saw how his film was being projected in Palm Desert, CA. :(
 
Same thing happened to me on my third ToL viewing at a Laemmle's theater in LA. No one cared after my complaint. Horrible sound, no surround, warbling like crazy. Digital projection can't take over fast enough. The Arclight viewing, on the other hand, was amazing.
 
Same thing happened to me on my third ToL viewing at a Laemmle's theater in LA. No one cared after my complaint. Horrible sound, no surround, warbling like crazy. Digital projection can't take over fast enough. The Arclight viewing, on the other hand, was amazing.

Gotta hate those dodgy racking handles. The biggest issues at the moment with the 35mm projectors is the lack of willingness to shell out for the ones that are left. Parts are more often getting salvaged from the carcasses of other stripped down 35mm projectors - and its only gonna get worse.
 
...Just came home from the theater after watching TREE OF LIFE.

Although the theater was very small and the print was pretty worn out for some reason - I was still, in some indescribable way, blown away by this picture. I've never seen anything like this film. A true masterpiece :)
 

Wow is that really Malick next to Bale? Photos/videos of him are as elusive as that of Bigfoot/Yeti lol.

Terrific film btw. I'm not entirely keen on Malick's untraditional narrative approach but TOL is certainly a technical masterpiece. I'm a fan of Red/Digital but this is affirmation that Film is alive and well.

The cinematography is definitely out of this World. I think it'll be a crime if Emanuel Lubezski doesn't win Best Cinematographer at the Oscars next year.
 
Literally just finished watching "Tree of Life".

I've never been a massive fan of Malick's work, but I'm blown away by how beautiful and profoundly moving I found this. What an amazing piece of cinema!

Definitely not for the ADD crowd. But if you let it, it will take you to emotional places you rarely go, and in the end, those are the films that will resonate with you long after you have finished watching them.

Let me join my voice to so many others, and say yes, this truly is a masterpiece of cinema that deserves its accolades.

Cheers from Tokyo,

Paul :)
 
Watched it with my family last night. Loved it! At first I was a bit concerned that the family wouldn't enjoy but they were right into it, even my 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter enjoyed it for what it was.

Stunning!
 
I LOVED it. I can't wait for it to release on blueray.
 
Just saw it on bluray yesterday. an absolutely stunning film on so many levels. Such beautiful editing too.
 
I might be the only one here saying this... but.. I thought it was the best shot, most boring movie i've ever seen...

The beautiful cinematography kept me in my seat... but the story itself... MAN!... I don't know what to say other than SELF INDULGENT.

I'm going to watch it again, there has to be something Im missing.
 
I might be the only one here saying this... but.. I thought it was the best shot, most boring movie i've ever seen...

The beautiful cinematography kept me in my seat... but the story itself... MAN!... I don't know what to say other than SELF INDULGENT.

I'm going to watch it again, there has to be something Im missing.

I would say Tree of Life is more of an experience than it is a movie.

More of an Art piece that you just watch. When I walked out of the theater I didn't know what to think until I sat down in the hotel and just thought about everything.

It's beautiful in every aspect.
 
Mark, I agree that if you go in looking for any sort of traditional story, you will be very frustrated. The movie was designed to circumvent logic and engage the audience on a more visceral and emotional level, much like a symphony. It doesn't work for everyone, but if you can connect with it, it's an unbelievable experience.
 
Mark, when you watch it again think of the Mother as representing "grace" and the Father as "Nature" and the effect each has on the children during different phases of their life. If you try to watch it as a movie, you'll hate it!

I thought it was incredibly brave. I'm the FIRST one to fall asleep during a self indulgent art film, but this actually works!
 
Resurrecting this old thread....

A fever knocked me down long enough to finally watch "Tree of Life" -

We have sacred music, sacred manuscripts. We have precious few pieces of sacred cinema - this is one.

It is poetry, a tapestry, a symphony with different movements woven together. The story is primarily (though not exclusively) a maguffin which sets the poetry in motion.

I turned around and watched it a second time, immediately.

If you are ever really sick, then you'll find that watching this in bits, dozing in and out of a fever dream is the way to go. It was kind of a oneness experience, the first time I felt myself really dissolve into a film - as opposed to watching it from the observer spot - and let it wash over me, evaporating any expectations or desires.... every frame is a work of art. It is pure cinema.
 
Back
Top