Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

To buy a scarlet now?

Tim Lynge Resdal

Active member
Joined
Nov 23, 2011
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi there. Im thinking that the new Dragon sensor will be implemented somewhat in the epic and the scarlet? If so, is this a bad time to buy a Scarlet? Do you get a free "update" to the dragon sensor, or how does it work?

Thanks :)
 
Well you can do what I may be doing. It was announced that they were not going to upgrade the scarlet sensor to dragon, because they would have to gut everything. So they decided to offer a trade in program for Scarlet to the Dragon, like the Red One was a trade in to Epic (or similar at least) No details as in full value trade in and so forth have not been announced yet, but I imagine their deal will be sweet. (Not to mention all your scarlet accessories will work with the Dragon, naturally)

Hi there. Im thinking that the new Dragon sensor will be implemented somewhat in the epic and the scarlet? If so, is this a bad time to buy a Scarlet? Do you get a free "update" to the dragon sensor, or how does it work?

Thanks :)
 
It's arguably the worst time unless you've got a bunch of gigs lined up that need 4k/raw. NAB is two months away; it'd be a bad idea to buy now especially because you probably wouldn't get all your kit sorted out until then (sure, the camera will ship in a week, but all the other accessories - batteries, plates, adapters, bits, stuff that you don't even know you need yet, etc. - will probably take closer to 6 weeks.)

As for Dragon specifically; you'll be paying more than the Scarlet brain, since you'll be upgrading to Epic. SOOoooo... at least an ADDITIONAL $8k-$20k beyond the ~$8k Scarlet brain purchase price. I'm not a betting man, but I can't see the Scarlet-to-Epic-Dragon upgrade being less than $15k (on top of your Scarlet purchase) as than it'd be cheaper overall than upgrading an Epic. If you have that kind of money available to you ($15k+8k), you may as well just get Epic now... but you probably wouldn't be considering a Scarlet if you had that kind of cash... Plus, we still don't know when the roll out will occur and will still don't know if Scarlet-upgraders will have to wait for Epic's or completely new customers. It's just poor timing right now (actually it's been poor timing since the announcement that there wouldn't be a "Scarlet-Dragon").
 
I would buy an Epic right now. Cheap upgrade path, better frame rates and compression, known pricing in the sense that its somewhere near the 6k goal and probably not triple that price point (one would assume). Seems to me that at this big of a discount you cannot lose by getting an Epic this cheap. What as a Scarlet owner I wonder is, should I be jumping ship now to get an Epic since we know the buy in to Dragon would be less and the discount is so huge right now? I don't have the cash to make the jump, but I could hypothetically take out a loan if you know what I mean...

So I am not sure what to do. My Scarlet has like 120 or so hours, I shoot it pretty often, slowly kitting it out, got batteries and pelican (was using it studio only) just recently (paglink are assume). I like it but I wish I had Epic fps options. That is why I feel pressured to jump. I am not sure what to do, bought in pre price drop, right before actually lol, and I don't think you should take advice from me. I seem to be bad at this red game lmfao...

I know I am going to be kicking myself for not grabbing an Epic right now if that ends up being my cheaper route to Dragon (as in sell off my Scarlet brain, buy a severely reduced Epic brain via a loan for the difference, and end up ahead vs doing the same thing with Scarlet further down the line, still needing a loan, and perhaps paying more overall vs making the jump while Epic is super reduced?)

I must admit its harder to plan now that Red plays their cards tighter then when I first became a total fan boy (which happened wayyy before I even made an account here). I am questioning whether I should grab a used PL angenieux right now since I have been borrowing Nikkors from a friend, but without knowing when to be ready for a Scarlet->Dragon move I am really not sure what to do these days. I still think Epic is the way to go for you though, but like I said heck if anyone but Red really knows whats going on right now.. If you need a rental/wrangler just for a couple small projects I could give you a good group rate on my package/services just so you can hold out for Dragon...
 
I hear conflicting information about Scarlet-X owners having and not having an upgrade availability. Is there a definitive on a yes or no for Scarlet owners to be able to upgrade? Not concentrating on pricing, JUST if there is going to be an option (OFFICIALLY)?
 
The upgrade path will be to trade in your scarlet for an Epic Dragon. They have not announced any details yet. So far, that is the only confirmed upgrade path...
 
There will be an upgrade that's all we know. We don't know when, how much and what it will include.
 
Okay.. So all in all we dont know :) hehe, well - i think i'm going for a scarlet. We have some productions coming up in march where it would be great to have.
 
What has been stated by RED is that there will be an upgrade path to Dragon, via a trade-in program.

As always, subject to change. :smiley: (People always forget that last part and then get really, really angry if/when there actually is a change.)
 
Back
Top