Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Timecode Systems Bundle: Wave & 2x UltraSync One - Sharing info.

Richard Darlington

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2017
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hong Kong / UK / DE
Website
www.quintessencestudios.com
Hello,

Sharing our tests using the Timecode Systems bundle Wave & 2x UltraSync One.

2 Epic X Dragons = 2x UltraSync One (slaves)

+ Timecode Systems Bundle: Wave (master) = Sound Devices friendly setup - ay least with the 788T

+ Sound Devices 788T x2

Results: Outstanding, rock solid and affordable system - current bundle price around 1500 USD / 850 GBP / 1000 EUR.

Yours,

Richard
 
I've been using the Ultrasync ONEs since they first got launched, I reckon they're arguably the best TC boxes on the market at the moment (my only main wish is if they had a built in mic as well like the Tentacles for DSLR/mirrorless shoots.



TCS just a few days ago launched a new deal for if you buy a pair of USO or a triple back of them, which makes them even cheaper than say the new Tentacle Sync E!

Quite impressive, not only do I believe they're the best on the market, but also the cheapest too.

So I have the TCS :wave as well, but it really isn't an essential buy for most people. You can wirelessly sync the USO in a snap in mere seconds on their own. But the :wave is handy if you say own the popular Sound Devices 633 or 688 as you gain extra functionality by pairing them together, but it doesn't work like that with most others such as say Zaxcom, or Zoom F series products, or your own 788T:

https://support.timecodesystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000192985



Hopefully we can all pester TCS to get them to provide wider support of their :wave with integration into more products than just the 6 series.
 
Hopefully we can all pester TCS to get them to provide wider support of their :wave with integration into more products than just the 6 series.

I've told them I want wider support as I have a :wave as well (I bought the :wave and 2x UltraSync bundle). It would be nice to get the same level of support in the MixPre series.
 
I've told them I want wider support as I have a :wave as well (I bought the :wave and 2x UltraSync bundle). It would be nice to get the same level of support in the MixPre series.

Sound Devices has a track record of working with TCS as they've got the functionality already with their 6 series mixer/recorders.

But that also might be exactly why SD will not enable this in their MixPre series :-/ To protect their higher end gear?

I'd probably buy a MixPre10T instead of the new F8n just for this one feature if the MixPre10T supported my :wave

But as it is now, I think it is unlikely I'll go for the MixPre10T over the new F8n.

Dunno, I shall wait and see for the official F8n announcement. As unless it disappoints (it won't) then I'm getting an F8n. (but if I don't... I'm back in the lurch of deciding or waiting for something like a cheap secondhand Nomad/Maxx/633/664/688/SX-R4+? I dunno. Saw a Maxx sell a few days ago for US$1.3K but I was too slow! 664 is the oldest of the 6 series so I'll pass on that. 688 is outside my budget. 633 I feel could be too limited and I'll outgrow it. I've only ever seen on SX-R4+ for sale and that is going for a bit on the high side)
 
Love the Wave/ultasync/633 combo. Ultrasyncs stay always attached to my cams. App allows system control from phone or iPad to sync and start/stop audio recording.
 
Since the ultrasync one has genlock output, and the DSMC2 V-LOCK I/O EXPANDER has an genock input. How about the sound devices mixpre6? does it have an genlock input? Can the ultrasync one supplie Genlock to the mixpre6? Does it have a genlock input?

Also with a mixpre6 that does not have an built in timecode generator. Can you use one ultrasync one with cable in to the camera that acts as the master timecode, and a second ultrasync one on a mixpre6 for those times you dont have the mixpre6 connected to the camera but are using a boomer.
 
The entire point of genlock is to make sure that the sh*tty rubbish cameras don't bloody drift!!! That is why we have timecode boxes after all.... because it seems we can't get cameras designed to keep accurate time.

But if the take is longer than short stretches then we can't let the camera remain in control so long (as TC is only a stamp at the start of the file), which is why we have genlock to take over control over the camera.

You might be seeing a theme here? The camera. That is where the problem is.

The audio recorder doesn't have this problem of drifting. It Is The Master. (well, those which have an internal TC generator. So oh well, not the MixPre3 or MixPre6 then) Thus no need for genlock. (well, there is wordclock, but that is a different kettle of fish to what we're discussing here)

Also with a mixpre6 that does not have an built in timecode generator. Can you use one ultrasync one with cable in to the camera that acts as the master timecode, and a second ultrasync one on a mixpre6 for those times you dont have the mixpre6 connected to the camera but are using a boomer.

Yes, any time the MixPre6 is not connected directly to the camera you should have a 2nd Ultrasync ONE on it.

Or ya know... use instead a real field recorder which has a timecode generator in it ;-) Such as the Zoom F8n.
 
Last edited:
I use Wave as TC generator, not the 633. The Wave sends TC to each ultrasync and thus to each camera. It also sends TC to the 633, thus a mixpre6 should also work receiving I would think. I don’t use Genlock but it would be possible. Since the sound TC is embedded into the video seems to work well, but never have really long takes. The ultra syncs will maintain TC even if they lose connection with the wave for quite a while.
 
Back
Top