Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The right onelight-grading

kavelar

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My aim is to render quicktime Prores files of my red-footage for editing. Therefor I use REDalert/REDrushes. The producer doesn't like me to do any color-adjustments for this. She wants to see the picture with the original lighting as it was meant by the DoP.
Now the only way to see the original picture is (as Tomtheeditor has already written) in REDcine pushing the Color-button or pressing F. Exactly this is what we want to see.

How can I create quicktime offline-files, which look exactly like this, which are closest to the original footage?
Which color-space do I have to use, and which Output-Gamma?
What is the right way to do are simple and reliable onelight grading for editing?

Cheers, Tobi
 
Viewing the RAW image (pressing F) won't give you the "original lighting" as meant by the DP unless the DP was viewing the LCD in RAW mode.

RAW files (as I'm sure you know) have a greyed out, under saturated look.

REDspace will give a far more natural realistic 'look' (closer to what the DP intended) than viewing the RAW image. And this (I believe) is what the build 16 proxies are.
 
In theory I understand, what an RAW image is.

I use the Camera Metadata, which is CamRGB Colorspace and REC709 Gamma, to render the offlines, as I was now asked not do any correction.

It's just, that most of the time the image looks totally dark and foggy, and in the histogram I only the about the first half range which has information.

Using REDspace is a huge difference, but ot always better. I tried this in the beginning, but found colour may turn out totally different.

So your suggestion is to use the camera metadata and just convert the colorspace and Gamma to REDspace?

Thanks a lot,
Tobi
 
It is very interest question for me . Because as i understand there
is no Gamma that means same picture that red cam shoot. Footage is
RAW , and if you select REC709 you are just making footage ready to
HD TV , and if you get RED LOG or any log you are making footage
ready for CC . Same is with Film , when you scan footage you need to
select Gamma . It is depends on DOP what he want to get from footage .
 
Back
Top