Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The post-DSLR phase starts

Wow, its the 5D all over again. "We'll give you a great film look just as there's no movement. We figured you'd like the extra 6 fps aside from the fact that the entire film world shoots in 24p for narrative work. And you can use different lenses too, but only the ones we allow you to."

Scarlet cannot come out soon enough.
 
a) line skipping
b) 60i
c) skew
d) DR
e) 8 bit
f) 24 Mb/s H.264
g) no gamma curve prior to compression
h) screen is too small


I will enjoy playing with it though....
 
I am sure there are a lot of people who are not "filmmakers" that will love this camera. Nothing wrong with 30p if you are shooting video for video and still want large sensor aesthetics.
Compared to my GL2, which does not sport 24p either, this puppy rocks for a bit lower cost than what I paid 5 years ago.
Hell I used to shoot 16mm industrials at 30fps for video finish because I didn't like the 3:2 pull down cadence of a 24f transfer.
 
I am sure there are a lot of people who are not "filmmakers" that will love this camera. Nothing wrong with 30p if you are shooting video for video and still want large sensor aesthetics.
Compared to my GL2, which does not sport 24p either, this puppy rocks for a bit lower cost than what I paid 5 years ago.
Hell I used to shoot 16mm industrials at 30fps for video finish because I didn't like the 3:2 pull down cadence of a 24f transfer.

I agree. As a Handycam (which is what it is) it's pretty killer. As a digital cinema camera (which is what it isn't) it's pretty meh.
 
I agree. As a Handycam (which is what it is) it's pretty killer. As a digital cinema camera (which is what it isn't) it's pretty meh.

Exactly, For the average person who only shoots home videos and such it would be a great camera much better than other consumer cameras out there right now. Although, professional it is not.
 
Exactly, For the average person who only shoots home videos and such it would be a great camera much better than other consumer cameras out there right now. Although, professional it is not.

I am not so sure. The Panasonic TM700 does 60p and resolves to nearly 1000 lines and costs under $1000. That is, almost double the resolution as the likes of Canon 7D. Its professional cousin HMC40 (also $2k) has all the pro features you need and retains the same stellar image quality. Though, to be fair, the Sony provides for shallow dof, and perhaps greater sensitivity. The average person, however, are likely to prefer a deeper dof.

It doesn't look much more than a stills camera with a video mode in a video camcorder body. But I would be open to pleasant surprises.
 
It doesn't look much more than a stills camera with a video mode in a video camcorder body. But I would be open to pleasant surprises.

They MUST have a better-than-line-skipping solution for processing the sensor output - i doubt if Sony would dare to release a video camera (consumer or not) with DSLR like moiré and aliasing.
 
Nonsensical.
Why?

Sanjin seems to know very well what he's talking about.

Nanoflesh supports GOP compresion scheme and it's not a way to go.

Only ProRes 422 10 bits is appropriate available way to go via AJA KiPro.

That thing is already working with other Sony camcorders:

acquire_media_edit_lg.jpg


LINK>>>
 
What worries me is the 14.2 megapixel stills spec.

They can optimize the low-pass filter for 1080p video and deliver very low-res 14.2 megapixel stills, or they can optimize it for those high-res stills and deliver heavily aliased video. So which compromise did they choose?

I think they may have optimized for the video, as the photos it can take are much smaller than those which the nex-5 and nex-3 can take.
 
Dare I say that the DOF reminds me more of 2/3" or 16mm than 35mm?
Probably not the DOF but the bokeh, Sony lenses ain't the best glass for sure.
 
Definitely don't like the bokeh of that lens. Don't like the slow speed or two stop shift of it either. But I am not seeing the serious aliasing and moire on fine detail typical of Canon DSLR's with this camera either.
 
The footage doesn't look too good.

To me it looks pretty good and much better out of the camera and handheld shots than some of 30 to 60 x times more expensive HD VIDEO cameras like an Alexa, new Varicam, etc,...

Tomorrow third parties will put PL mount on that...
 
Back
Top