Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

***The OConnor O-Focus DM Cine and Photo Sets***OFFICIAL THREAD!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eric J. Johnston
  • Start date Start date
I got my O-Focus DM Photo set a few weeks back from our friends at B&H. While I absolutely love the unit itself, when it arrived, it was obvious that it had been sold, returned, and then re-sold to me. The box was held together with scotch tape, the FF gears were in a small ziploc bag, and the friction gear itself was missing. Naturally B&H has passed off the responsibility for the part to O'Connor, and hopefully I'll get it soon, but this is just another in a long, painful line of bad experiences I've had with B&H. Trust me…I'd have gotten it from Abel, but they said they were out of stock when I needed it.

My take? Get the O-Focus. And get it somewhere other than B&H.

I just got one that I also ordered from B&H and it does look used to me as well. Gears in a worn out ziplock bag. Lot of dust. A couple of minor scratches. My question is, is this how this product will always arrive regardless? Or have I got to raise some hell about it? Thing is I need this for a shoot coming up and returning would screw that up. Paying close to $2000 for a FF, I don't expect it to look like this. Also, I live in Canada and getting a replacement through customs, if not marked properly, can have you paying duties twice!

Thanks!
 
Mine was brand new and all sealed up when i got it from B&H... I'd return the unit to B&H and demand a brand new one.
 
So if you going to work with Still and Cine lenses you should buy 2 Sets, (Photo set and plus CFF1 Handweel) it is 1800 for Photo set and plus 700 for CFF1 handweel? So you need to pay 2500 if you are going to work with both still and Cine lenses?
For example many people are working with still lenses (ZE, Canon) but sometimes these people rent or just use Cine lenses too (CP.2, Zeisse standart or Heigh speed or even Ultra Prime) so if they buy Photo Set they will be able work only with still lenses and for work with Cine Lenses they need additionally buy CFF1- Handweel for 700 USD?
So in this case O'focus is good for people who work with one tape of lenses Still or Cine?
Because if people work with Still and Cine lenses the price in this case will be 2500 and in this case it is possible to buy ARRI FF5 HD for 3200 and for any tapes of lenses or maybe ARRI FF2 for arround 1700 USD for any lenses too?
And Photo set has 2 hard stops and Cine set hasn't any stop? Is it normal to work with Follow focus without any stops?
 
So, I want to know if I would need both the Photo & Cine version for the Mini FF.

I have a Canon 17-55 IS.
And I also have a Contax Zeiss 85mm.

The Zeiss one has more rotation and has hard stops. Would I need the Photo version for it still or the Cine version?

And with the RPP, because of the limited focus marks, wouldnt it be better to use the Photo version than the Cine version for it? Im not sure how much rotation it has, but looking at some of the pictures, it didnt look like it was almost a 360' rotation, so I thought the Photo version would be better, and would help with the missing markings.
 
The cine wheel feels alot more solid than the photo wheel, which has a hollow sort of feel. I prefer the cine, but I own both. You would use the cine wheel with red lenses definitely.
 
Will the cine version accommodate a lens with a very large diameter, such as the RED Pro 18-85mm zoom? Or will it require something like the CFF handwheel extension?
 
I believe it will accomodate the 18-85. You should check with OConnor though to be sure :)
 
Will the cine version accommodate a lens with a very large diameter, such as the RED Pro 18-85mm zoom? Or will it require something like the CFF handwheel extension?
We use the photo version with the 18-85 and it works just fine, however we had to purchase the 19mm baseplate for the O-Focus because the lens was too large in diameter to use with the 15mm LW baseplate.
 
We use the photo version with the 18-85 and it works just fine, however we had to purchase the 19mm baseplate for the O-Focus because the lens was too large in diameter to use with the 15mm LW baseplate.

Do you mean this for an extra $553? Ouch! I wish I had known before I placed my order. :banghead:
 
Do you mean this for an extra $553? Ouch! I wish I had known before I placed my order. :banghead:
Yes, that is exactly the piece I am talking about. And I feel your pain...I said things a LOT more graphic than ouch when I saw the price!!
 
Everybody tells Ofocus is perfect but it is hard to understand how use it. I use Chrosziel 203 and it is very comfortable. But I can't understand how to us O focus at all. What wheel for what lenses? Photo Set for still lenses: Canon, ZE? and Cine Set for cinema lenses: Ultra Prime, Zeiss CP.2, Zeiss Standart, Mk II, MK II, RPP? But everybody want to work with any kind of Lenses most work with still Canon and ZE but sometimes everybody need to work with Ultra Prime or RPP or Zeiss standart, so it is needs to buy two Sets Photo and Cine? it is 1700 plus extra 700, 2400 is sum? And what happened if work at Photo Set with Cinema lensese Ultra Prime or Cp.2? and what would happened if work at Cine Set with still lenses Canon, Zeiss ZE?
 
You're over thinking it Alexey. Either knob will work all lenses. Just depends on your preference of gearing. The cine knob may be someone's preference - the photo knob may be someone else's. You don't HAVE to have both.
 
You're over thinking it Alexey. Either knob will work all lenses. Just depends on your preference of gearing. The cine knob may be someone's preference - the photo knob may be someone else's. You don't HAVE to have both.

Thank you Trevor!
So what is the difference? Maybe Cine knob has the bigger diameter and it is one amplitude of torsion of lense and Photo knob is less and is it another? And I see Cine set doesn't has any stop and Photo set has hard stop (1 or two)? But I think hard stop is very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtmIHaDM5I
 
Yes that's correct - the cine hand wheel is larger AND has different gearing, in order to give more lens rotation for a given amount of knob rotation. Still hand wheel is smaller and has gearing that is more appropriate to still lenses - since they have very short focus throws, the photo hand wheel gives you less lens movement for a given amount of knob rotation. Refer to Post #1 of this thread for detailed info including gear ratios.

The cine hand wheel is offset, which allows you to position the wheel where you want it - out of the way of lens witness marks etc.

And yes, the photo version has hard stops. This is particularly helpful for still lenses whose focus rings spin infinitely and don't have built-in hard stops.

So, for Canon L series (or any other canon lens for that matter) and most lenses with electronic motors, you would want the Photo hand wheel. For Zeiss ZE, Duclos mod lenses, CP.2s, any other cine lens, you'd want the Cine hand wheel.

I hope that helps!

It's a great FF, and has never let me down. I use Zeiss CP.2s primarily so I have the Cine handwheel, but it's also usable with still lenses, although I hate using them in general...
 
Thanks Trevor a lot!
I have Zeisse ZE lensese and sometimes rent and use CP.2, MK II, Do you think Cine Set is better for me?
 
Yes, I do. I have tried both and highly recommend the Cine set :yesnod:

Enjoy!!

IMG_1274.jpg
 
Thanks Trevor!
Really I am thinking now or take Redrock micro blue for 1200 (because almost double less price which I have now) but maybe it would be better wait a few month and take Ofocus.
 
Back
Top