Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

"Swiping"

Harry Clark

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
NYC
OK, I finally bought a couple of Intel Macs and tried out Redcine for the first time yesterday. I know it's a beta, but it's pretty full-featured and seems mostly intuitive, though a departure from the traditional OSX apps like Final Cut, DVD Studio Pro, etc.
Not being a post guy, I assume that the interface more closely resembles Scratch or one of the high-end CC suites available. It's an excellent idea to have the "skin" neutral while you're color grading.
I'm not a big fan of how it takes over the OS so you cannot jump into another program without first quitting; that seems awfully Windows-like to me... :(
But it quits and starts up so lightning fast, who cares really?
All in all, a good start IMHO.
BUT....
What's with the "swiping" gesture that brings up the histogram and lets you copy the contents of the viewer? It's a very clunky way of working. It's easy to do accidentally (like the first time I made a copy of the shot accidentally and wondered what the heck I had done) and it seems to be the only way of accessing the histogram and RGB filters, so unless you're swiping all around you might wonder where these functions are! The only way I figured it out was by watching the tutorial movies (which are very helpful BTW)
Anyway, it's my opinion that all controls and windows that are available to a program should be found as a button in the main program window or in a menu (what's with the lack of a menu bar in this program anyway?) It seems as if that's where GUI designers have settled at this point in history (both Windows and Mac) and to change this now and intruduce a new way for no good reason make little sense to me (for instance, just because you can make the layout of a program randomly different each time you launch it would not be a good reason to do it)
Unless there are lots of programs using the swiping gesture and I'm just unaware of it...
Either way, nice start!
Cheers,
Harry
 
I'm not a big fan of how it takes over the OS so you cannot jump into another program without first quitting; that seems awfully Windows-like to me... :(

F11.

What's with the "swiping" gesture that brings up the histogram and lets you copy the contents of the viewer? It's a very clunky way of working. It's easy to do accidentally (like the first time I made a copy of the shot accidentally and wondered what the heck I had done) and it seems to be the only way of accessing the histogram and RGB filters, ...

Histogram - "U"
RGB Filters - CTRL + R G B M
Help Menu - H (where all these keyboard shortcuts are listed. : )

Anyway, it's my opinion that all controls and windows that are available to a program should be found as a button in the main program window or in a menu (what's with the lack of a menu bar in this program anyway?)

Then you would have a REALLY cluttered interface. Can you tell me anything that is in REDCINE that is not either in the interface, or available via a swipe?

Unless there are lots of programs using the swiping gesture and I'm just unaware of it...

There actually are. This is how Quantel programs have worked since the days of Henry. There are other manufacturers that do this as well. I'm not new to swiping anymore, but I have always thought it was an elegant way to deal with the cross purposes of keeping a GUI clean and providing extended functionality. I guess we agree to disagree on this one!

There is also a big difference with swiping when using a mouse and a tablet. When using a tablet, it is a very natural motion and makes a lot of muscle memory sense. With a mouse, it still works, but is not quite as natural.

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
What's with the "swiping" gesture that brings up the histogram and lets you copy the contents of the viewer? It's a very clunky way of working....
Unless there are lots of programs using the swiping gesture and I'm just unaware of it...

There are. In fact, a number of professional systems have used this for years, ever since Quantel came up with it. The original idea was to keep the screen clean, devoted primarily to the image(s) you're working on, with gestural motions to bring up the tool pallettes you need. This type of interface is most suited to use of a pen and tablet, which is what it was designed around (Harry and Henry were both completely pen-centric) and is very efficient when used with those tools. Discreet picked up on that design (Flame, Inferno, Smoke, Fire, and even Combustion are all very pen and tablet friendly, and all use gestural moves and screen edge swiping), as did 5D (who designed their compositor Cyborg around it, as well as their color correction system Colossus). The basic screen designs for Assimilate were done by an ex-5D designer, hence the continuance of that motif.
 
ahhhhhh...
thanks Luki.
I went back and played around with the keyboard shortcuts. Very helpful.
Like I said guys, I'm a cinematographer, not a colorist, so relatively unfamiliar with the interface. Usually I'm sitting behind the colorist and looking at the video monitor, not the computer screen... :)
I suppose I might get used to swiping, but the keyboard shortcuts are a nice alternative.
Is there an ASA adjustment parameter?
Cheers,
Harry
 
I have real problems swiping on OS X, with my Wacom. Any way we can make this easier, Lucas?

Graeme
 
Maybe a tablet is in my future...
Cheers,
H.
 
I have real problems swiping on OS X, with my Wacom. Any way we can make this easier, Lucas?

Graeme
I really like the Adobe Lightroom way of expanding/shrinking their workspace.
F5=top F6=bottom F7=left F8=right

B
 
Yeah, it doesn't work well on my PC either.

Guys,

Try setting the workspace for your tablet to just inside the physical borders of the tablet itself. In order for a swipe to work, it needs to see that the edge of raster has been reached, which is actually pretty hard to do if the raster is set to the absolute edges of the tablet.

This has nothing to do with REDCINE, but is the nature of the beast when working with a tablet and a program with gestural commands.

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
I guess it's pretty obvious who the rocket scientist is in this thread. :-)

As much as I like Lucas....

It's not rocket science. It's experience. Something far too many people here and elsewhere seem to have very little regard for.
 
It's not rocket science. It's experience. Something far too many people here and elsewhere seem to have very little regard for.

Apparently your experience is that people respond well to that kind bop over the head or you wouldn't keep doing it.

I think most people are here to share and learn. I know I'm trying to take as much good advice as I can. It's only a very few people here that think they have it all figured out and aren't open to the advice from the vets. Don't let 'em drag your patient, kindhearted spirit down. :-)
 
Apparently your experience is that people respond well to that kind bop over the head or you wouldn't keep doing it.

I think most people are here to share and learn. I know I'm trying to take as much good advice as I can. It's only a very few people here that think they have it all figured out and aren't open to the advice from the vets. Don't let 'em drag your patient, kindhearted spirit down. :-)

Very nicely put...now allow me to explain how this film stuff really works...
 
Back
Top