Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Super35 Lenses on the Gemini?

Joined
Jul 25, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have an Optimo Rouge 16-42 and a Style 30-76. They vignette on the Gemini at 5k. I've been shooting in 4k to avoid the issue. Curious to see what everyone has been doing with Super35 lenses on the Gemini at 5k. There's a lot of old glass out there and larger sensors are upon us.
 
Have you considered getting an expander? Of course you lose your field of view and a bit of light, but you could at least capture the full resolution of the sensor.
 
Expanders have drawbacks for sure in certain instances

Definitely worth a test though, there are a lot of expanders out there now with different magnifications
 
I've had Gemini in my hands less than a week, so take this with a grain of salt: If the lens was optically designed to project to a specific image circle, why not use the crop function to recreate the frame size it's designed for? Genuine question, not trying to be snooty.

I have a set of Zeiss SS MKI and they will not cover 5k on Gemini because of the oversized sensor. Shooting 4.5k fixes this (still have to test falloff on the 18mm though - might have to drop to 4k).

Do you feel that the extra res will balance out any possible weirdness extra optics might introduce?
 
I have an Optimo Rouge 16-42 and a Style 30-76. They vignette on the Gemini at 5k. I've been shooting in 4k to avoid the issue. Curious to see what everyone has been doing with Super35 lenses on the Gemini at 5k. There's a lot of old glass out there and larger sensors are upon us.
I have the Optimo DP lenses too. Excellent lenses its too bad that they struggle to cover the 5K. For zooms a good quality one that are not stupid expensive that covers are the Zeiss LW zooms. The Sigma cine zooms work well. Both of these lenses are surprisingly good. I also have a set of Cooke Mini S4i that cover the 5K sensor perfectly. Oddly enough they are better than the S4i for coverage.
 
Most of my primes cover 5k. I bought a full frame 18mm to cover that end, and I bought a rehoused Ang. 28-70 to cover the leight weight zoom end of things. The super 35 size of the chip is 4k, so if a really need to use lenses that don't cover the whole chip, that's the solution.

Nick
 
Use FF lenses maybe?

G.
 
Well that means you will never shoot with vintage S35 glass. Which is fine, if you aren't interested in that. A lot of people are, though.
 
Again, s35 glass works just fine, you are just at 4k, which is fine, and then the frame is the correct size for the lenses. And most s35 glass covers 5k at longer focal lengths it's just the wides that are an issue.

Nick
 
I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in this forum, but what's the verdict with the Sigma 18-35mm on the Gemini in 5k? @18mm? Any vignette? Haven't seen a good test but have seen plenty of people shooting with the lens on the Gemini.
 
There’s a hefty vignette at 18mm full sensor readout (5k). When you jump down to 4.5k it becomes less of an issue. If you stay at 5k, anything above 21mm is free of vignetting.
 
Back
Top