Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Sony announces 84" 4K Television

most of these 4k tvs are gonna be quad hd. from what I've heard from Sony, the built in upscaler in the new xbr900 is really good. and quad hd is just the right resolution to be able to scale up 1080p material easily. if they are pushing a 4k tv, they want people to still be able to enjoy their HD content as much as possible without it looking like garbage the way sd does on a hd tv.
 
Are there any true 4096 4K TVs or they are all only 3840 wide?

Panasonic plasma, Sharp LCD...others mostly 3840.

Upscaling factor which Tom mentioned can be counted under "scaling factors", going both up and down. There are also other factors, manufacturing and industry pipeline related.
For consumer TV market 3840 is being currently marketed as "4K" and targeted as a standard.

With computer monitors the chances of seeing 4096 are higher.
 
I'm still curious what kind of connector they're going to use to display 4K material. Dual HD-SDI? I tend to doubt we're gonna see this in a consumer product.

It'll be a shame if we have 4K material available on a computer or on a RedRay player, but have no way to hose it into a Sony 4K monitor. Are there any established consumer standards here yet, or is Sony just doing it ad hoc?
 
Hdmi 1.4 - Quad HD up to 30 Hz, 4K 24 Hz
Display Port 1.2 - 4K up to 60 Hz
 
Stuart, are we to assume that the 5 HDMI spigots on the REDray player are really a single tap for devices like the recent Sony offerings, plus a 4x HDMI option to support greater bandwidth in future devices (HFR, S3D, etc)?

Cheers - #19
 
Jake are you even grading on 4k monitors?

It's edge lit LED. It's great for home viewing, but not for professional use, where color precision is important.
 
Jake are you even grading on 4k monitors?
There are no 4K monitors for color grading of which I'm aware. There are 4K D-cinema projectors out there, but almost every place in town I know of is grading in 2K proxies and rendering final delivery outputs in 4K (if required). Sony's Colorworks division in Culver City does have Sony 4K projectors available.
 
Stuart, are we to assume that the 5 HDMI spigots on the REDray player are really a single tap for devices like the recent Sony offerings, plus a 4x HDMI option to support greater bandwidth in future devices (HFR, S3D, etc)?

Yes, plus we can also support four 1080p displays if your application is digital signage and you want discreet, but still synchronized, images.
 
There are no 4K monitors for color grading of which I'm aware. There are 4K D-cinema projectors out there, but almost every place in town I know of is grading in 2K proxies and rendering final delivery outputs in 4K (if required). Sony's Colorworks division in Culver City does have Sony 4K projectors available.

Sony has one as part of their 4K product offerings. It's expensive as Hell so there aren't many of them in the wild.
 
Saw a 80 inch plus Sharp for $10k the other day, was disappointed how DVD it looked on the avengers bluray, 4k and content, bring it on.
 
I saw this 4K TV at the Sony booth at IBC.... it's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
You could buy the 'old' Panasonic shd Plasma cheaper. Seriously, I know somebody with a practical 4-8k 40 inch+ display design targeted at $100. If people only listen to big companies seeking big profits, including out of dated maturing technology avenues, they will be deceived.

Somebody at Wikipedia gas started listing 4k displays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Useful. I often look at Wikipedia to see summaries of news on various products, because it is so hard to search for it online.. If anybody is contributing on Wikipedia, you can add genuine displays you find there. You might notice the 32 inch view sonic there, for the price of a car. I have a older factory color balanced Viewsonic TV here and love it (though alumina mapping needs work) and plan to use it on the PC, but that monitor had better be an old secondhand car, or the Tata Nano (worlds cheapest) at Indian prices, otherwise the first 4k Imac might be a much better buy.
 
Hmm, that older Panasonic that I saw $27k first off the rank, is not listed there.
 
Back
Top