Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Sigma 24-35 2.0 N/A aperature

Manfred Baulig

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Germany
Hi there,

Would like to know, if you also don't get aperature control over this lens with canon EF mount. I tried both, epic-X and epic dragon and always get N/A


Regards
 
Manfred -- What version of firmware ? Suspect you have 5.3.42 or some version of 6 (as in 6.0.X) Try 5.3.33 or 5.3.35 if possible. Be careful with 6.0.31,
which is the current latest release, as it will not let you go back to 5.3.33 or 5.3.35. 6.0.31 appears to be a better release of the 6 series, but still (for me with an Epic Dragon at least)
has some problems with after-market Canon EF lenses -- and even some Canon EF lenses. I also had problems with the Motion Mount with 6.0.31 (but 5.3.33 seemed to work pretty well). I
unfortunately "upgraded" to 6.0.31 & now have limited success with EF lenses. f/6.3 also shows up as f/6.1 in YELLOW & communication with an EF lens can go away.
Waiting for next firmware release.
Here are some EF lenses I've tried: 24-70 f/4 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, and Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC (nice lens BTW), and Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 can all work with 6.0.31 ... and then all of a sudden the camera will lose contact with the lens & N/A shows up.

Hope this helps --
Serge


Hi there,

Would like to know, if you also don't get aperature control over this lens with canon EF mount. I tried both, epic-X and epic dragon and always get N/A


Regards
 
Sigma 18-35 has also Problems. Last week one of my customers went Crazy cause of this problem. His Canon lenses were also N/A. Since i'm On The latest Firmware it seems like a dead end to me. What should I Tell my customers? Is red Working On this Problem?

Regards
 
Manfred -- Sorry you had a bad experience with your customer. Know what that feels like. Yes, RED is working on this (I've had several e-mails from RED); it is apparently not a quick/easy fix, as they have had reports on this problem for 'a while.' As to your Sigma lens -- my Tamron 15-30 is more subject to "the N/A disease" than my Canon EF lenses, which are fairly reliable under 6.0.31, but are still not bullet-proof. You may want to take the lens off & use the lens cover to set up the camera, and then power off -- put the lens on with IS & AF set the way you'll need these -- and then power on. This way you will change as few settings on the camera once it is up & running. The more you change things on the camera, the more likely you'll come back to find "N/A" & you won;t be able to change f/stops. If you get "N/A" power on & off, so the camera & lens have a chance to do the first "hand shake" successfully. Keep power cycling & you may get everything to work.

Tx,
Serge
Epic Dragon #8504


Sigma 18-35 has also Problems. Last week one of my customers went Crazy cause of this problem. His Canon lenses were also N/A. Since i'm On The latest Firmware it seems like a dead end to me. What should I Tell my customers? Is red Working On this Problem?

Regards
 
Very interesting, so it's not only my Nikon mount SIGMA 18-35, the Canon as well. Good to know that they are working on it. My RED Bomb Squad told me he reported that issue weeks ago, haven't heard anything since then. Really hope they manage it soon, love my SIGMA, it's been missed on any shoot :-)
 
Andre -- Again, what has helped me a little with Canon EF lenses (and hopefully this will help you with Nikon lenses, too) is to get the camera set up as best you can with no lens mounted. Then power off. Set the lens the way you want it (IS/VR & AF or MF). Mount the lens. Power on. If not successful, try a few power cycles, waiting maybe 10 seconds between power off & power on. Are you having trouble with any of your Nikon branded CPU-based lenses ? Let us know if the above has any success with your Sigma, and if you are having problems with Nikkor CPU lenses & if the above helps them as well.

Anyone having success with the Motion Mount + 6.0.31 + CPU-based lenses ? I guess this would be only Canon shooters .....

Tx,
Serge

Very interesting, so it's not only my Nikon mount SIGMA 18-35, the Canon as well. Good to know that they are working on it. My RED Bomb Squad told me he reported that issue weeks ago, haven't heard anything since then. Really hope they manage it soon, love my SIGMA, it's been missed on any shoot :-)
 
Hi Serge, thanks for your feedback. Will test it tomorrow when I am back to the office.
All my other Nikon lenses work: Nikon 35mm 1.8., Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon 70-200mm VRII 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.

Will test as soon as I can if your trick works and keep you posted here.

Thanks,
Andre

Andre -- Again, what has helped me a little with Canon EF lenses (and hopefully this will help you with Nikon lenses, too) is to get the camera set up as best you can with no lens mounted. Then power off. Set the lens the way you want it (IS/VR & AF or MF). Mount the lens. Power on. If not successful, try a few power cycles, waiting maybe 10 seconds between power off & power on. Are you having trouble with any of your Nikon branded CPU-based lenses ? Let us know if the above has any success with your Sigma, and if you are having problems with Nikkor CPU lenses & if the above helps them as well.

Anyone having success with the Motion Mount + 6.0.31 + CPU-based lenses ? I guess this would be only Canon shooters .....

Tx,
Serge
 
Andre -- I also updated to 6.0.35 & with the Ti Canon Mount on the Epic Dragon, it looks to be less friendly toward my Tamron 15-30 than even 6.0.31. Best I can get is to see f/2.8 very briefly on boot-up & then "N/A". With 6.0.31, I was able to occasionally (every other boot ?) get to see the Tamron & change f/stops. However, the f/6.1 for f/6.3 curiosity now seems to be fixed for the "plain" Canon Ti Mount with Canon EF lenses with CPUs.

Tried 6.0.35 with the Canon Motion Mount & initial results are a complete no-go with Canon CPU-based lenses. Strange long fraction displayed for ND setting, and under the Motion Mount pane, all values are very strange. And ND Only is the only option [Soft & Square options are not shown, just 3 ND Only options]. Anyone else seeing this ?

The Motion Mount appears to work with Leitax converted Contax lenses (but the f/stop info may not be coming across).

Sigh ...
Serge

Tested the new firmware today, 6.0.35. No fix :-/
 
Any news here?
my Sigma 24-35 2.0 is gathering dust -.-
 
I had a shop here update my 18-35. Haven't picked it up yet, but the issues on that should be solved. I'll ask a Sigma guy about the 24-35
 
Is there any news on this?
One of my customers is getting crazy because his Canon 16-35 doesnt work.
Really hope I dont lose customers because of this.
Though---when I lose them I would have the time to send camera in for firmware downgrade (1-2 weeks)
 
Back
Top