Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Should I grab a Rocket X

Leroy Jackson

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
617
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Michigan
Should I get a Red rocket x if I can get it cheap enough? I have a GTX 980 would the rocket X be better? Please help me out Fellow red users.
BTW I have a 5,1 Mac Pro with 1TB SSD and 4Tb of storage, 32GB of ram 12 cores @ 2.66 Thanks
 
Are you primarily playing back Dragon footage or Helium footage? The Red Rocket-x does a killer job on Dragon footage, and I've noticed it helps quite a bit with Helium as well. But as Jarred has stated, sooner or later it's going to be outdated with the newer GPU's. If you're just using a single GTX 980, the Rocket will be a big help. However, I'm not sure what the limitations are of the 5.1 as far as GPU support and future GPU's. So if the 980 is the end of the road, and the Red Rocket -x is affordable, I'd say go for it. However there may be quite a few others who know more about the GPU's available for your system than I do. Also, what kind of storage do you have for the 4TB? That will be a big factor as well.

All the best,

-John Brennick
 
Leroy,

I have a GTX980 Ti on my Mac Pro 5.1 with 12 Cores @ 3.46Ghz and 64GB of ram and everything is smooth...

not a full res in real time of course but you don't actually need it...

so since you Mac Pro is not too far from mine spec wise, I'd say listen to Jarred's opinion... ;)
 
Ahhhh the Titan X 12GB. Isn't that the same Chip in the unsupported GTX 1080.... ?
 
Back
Top