Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet W menu running slow

steven michelsen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA
Hey guys,

iv just got my Scarlet-W and seem to be mind blown on how slow the menus run, even compared to my Raven. Just to change res. or frame rate is a absolute test match. A. the start up from cold is about 2min B. Selecting FR & Res. just takes too long, is there anything im missing here?

Scarlet-W brain #7705 with RED touch 7inch monitor

Shot

Steven
 
Hi Steven,

My Scarlet-W brain #7909 is able to start up within 36 sec as I just counted with my iPhone's stopwatch, and I don't experience the menu lag you mentioned.

Best,
Chi
 
Hi Steven, have you solved the issue? I think mine have a slow menù too, quite laggish changing iso, aperture, res etc. On my old Scarlet-X the menù was more fast imho and that's really strange.
 
Ok, after reinstalling the latest firmware the menù seems to be faster than before, by the way i think that on my old Scarlet every change was more quick.
 
Hi guys, after some days of work i can definitely say that my Scarlet have a sluggish menù, i shot a lot also yesterday and iso or shutter changes were really slow. I've already reinstalled the latest firmware and tried rebooting, sometimes the menù is quicker and sometimes is slow but i'm sure that isn't normal. I've experienced seconds (maybe 5/6) for a shutter change. Any ideas?
 
I think it's same on all Scarlet-W cameras. Menus are sluggish and 4.7" LCD gets very hot.
When I got my SW I was shocked with extremely slow boot time. Measured side by side with old Scarlet MX (boot time only 9s) vs 30s on SW.

So this i supposed to be normal? In your experience is an issue related to the 4.7 LCD or to the whole system? I have a 4.7 too. My old MX was really fast if compared to the new camera.
 
Had this aswell on our dragon-w. It was so bad that filming became a drama (adjusting settings between shots etc.)
When I did a factory reset the menu lag problems were gone also the boot time was reduced.
 
Had this aswell on our dragon-w. It was so bad that filming became a drama (adjusting settings between shots etc.)
When I did a factory reset the menu lag problems were gone also the boot time was reduced.

Let's try with the factory reset. I'll keep you all up to date. Many thanks guys.
 
Ok, i'm back. I confirm that my camera is doing whatever she wants. Sometimes the menù is quick, sometimes is terribly slow. I hope the new firmware will correct this issue, i'll get in touch with Red and see.
 
Are you running a DSMC2 side handle with AF lenses. Anytime I am using the side handle to pull focus on L series glass the menu system slows to a crawl. I assume the camera has to dedicate more processing to continuously controlling the lens' internal motor. Now I am in the habit of switching the lens to MF after every shot so I can navigate menus and playback with ease and then flipping back to AF right before we roll.
 
Are you running a DSMC2 side handle with AF lenses. Anytime I am using the side handle to pull focus on L series glass the menu system slows to a crawl. I assume the camera has to dedicate more processing to continuously controlling the lens' internal motor. Now I am in the habit of switching the lens to MF after every shot so I can navigate menus and playback with ease and then flipping back to AF right before we roll.

Nope, i'm using a very simple setting: camera + vlock i/o expander + 4.7 monitor. Sigma art lenses with focus set on manual.
I asked to Red Europe and we found that the issue came up only when using batteries, using dc everything was fine (more or less). Then i tried an hard reset and reinstalled again the firmware (not the latest because i've read here on reduser that many people is reporting issues). After that test the camera apparently is fine, boot time is 38s circa and the menù is running ok. Red also checked a log from the camera and nothing strange is happaning. I keep you up to date in case something happens again. Hope my solution can help other people too.
 
Back
Top