Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

SCARLET-W In Camera Settings and LUT Application - NOISE Issue

Ron Osmena

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I just wanted to know what you Scarlet-W users have as your in-Camera settings and when you transcode it to LOG Footage using RCX and once brought back to Premiere, what LUT do you usually apply? I just noticed I was shooting something at native iso 800 and f15.3 and I see a lot of grain. Just wanted the input from the users on here on their typical basic workflow.

Camera Settings > RCX LOG ProRes Export > Import to Adobe Pro CC > LUT Application

Any input would be great.
 
I just wanted to know what you Scarlet-W users have as your in-Camera settings and when you transcode it to LOG Footage using RCX and once brought back to Premiere, what LUT do you usually apply? I just noticed I was shooting something at native iso 800 and f15.3 and I see a lot of grain. Just wanted the input from the users on here on their typical basic workflow.

Camera Settings > RCX LOG ProRes Export > Import to Adobe Pro CC > LUT Application

Any input would be great.

Hey i bumped on this thread and followed what you use and that turns to be a great setup. I am new to RED cameras before in was an amateur but i am under someone's wing and he is teaching me . Thanks for the setup it works great.

Regards,
Shane.
 
Last edited:
So the SCARLET-W, although good at 800 ISO, it more like a native 320 ISO sensor for super clean images. Also, I try not to shoot such a high F-stop, depending on the scene (and ND filters). I view my image in LOG3G10 and REDWIDEGAMMUT in camera, which is the newest color and gamut spaces. For LUTs, I have a variety installed for personal taste (like Kodak and some DXL/Alexa ones), but you can always go on RED.com and load on the IPP2 LUTs to view with the new color styles.

Try and always expose your goalposts to the right for shadow retention...just try not to crush the blacks on the left and go for a more even or skewed to the right histogram.

https://www.red.com/downloads/options?itemInternalId=16126

https://www.red.com/downloads/options?itemInternalId=16136
 
So the SCARLET-W, although good at 800 ISO, it more like a native 320 ISO sensor for super clean images. Also, I try not to shoot such a high F-stop, depending on the scene (and ND filters). I view my image in LOG3G10 and REDWIDEGAMMUT in camera, which is the newest color and gamut spaces. For LUTs, I have a variety installed for personal taste (like Kodak and some DXL/Alexa ones), but you can always go on RED.com and load on the IPP2 LUTs to view with the new color styles.

Try and always expose your goalposts to the right for shadow retention...just try not to crush the blacks on the left and go for a more even or skewed to the right histogram.

https://www.red.com/downloads/options?itemInternalId=16126

https://www.red.com/downloads/options?itemInternalId=16136

would you mind sharing some LUTs you mentioned or where you got them? Because i think they need to be 17x17x17 or somthing and also are they matched to the Log3G10 and Redwidegammut setting?

Thanks
Marcus
 
Back
Top