Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet-W Dead! Again...

Aaron Swann

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Received my Scarlet-W

Died after 3 weeks (unresponsive with no display)

Sent camera back to RED

Received loaner Epic DSMC1 which was also faulty...

Sent Epic DSMC 1 back to RED

Received 2nd loaner Epic DSMC1 as RED could not provide DSMC 2 Loaner.

RED request my accessories for testing purposes as they are still unable to recreate the problem I experienced.

4 weeks have now gone by, I call RED and I'm told that the camera is in fact faulty and the boards in my Scarlet-W have to be replaced.

Received my Scarlet-W again.

Died after 3 days.

The first time it malfunctioned I asked for a refund and I was told that I would likely lose 30% on restocking fees. Which then made me pursue the course of repair as opposed to refund. The transit time for returning the camera a second time has just cost me 3 jobs. I definitely want all my money back this time, it's inexcusable to sell a defective product and then attempt to charge a restocking fee!
 
That's weird. From all the bodies I had, every units were workhorses. And the loaner I got for the DSMC to DSMC² transition was perfect also.

Usually when there are so much troubles, I'm more inclined to think it's user error, but you don't describe what you did, and how the other brains behaved.
I mean, it's 4 bodies out of 4 defective. Isn't that even remotly possible ?

If it died in days, surely you can describe every steps of you handling the camera ?
 
It's actually 2 out of 3 and I'm not sure user error can be attributed to internal boards requiring replacement due to being of a FAULTY nature...

In the most recent case of my Scarlet-W it was simply turned off, lens changed and then the power button was pushed and it malfunctioned. I'm not sure why I'm explaining this to you Berenger, since RED acknowledged that both cameras were in fact faulty.

However just so you know, the first time the Scarlet-W malfunctioned a representative from an authorised RED dealer was the DP and he turned the camera off for a break and attempted to turn it back on and it malfunctioned...
 
Last edited:
You're explaining this because otherwise posting here doesn't serve any purpose, and because you did not explain in the first post.
Explaining is a way to make you legit. By explaining, you're proving you're not a troll.

- I agree that power on and brick has to be a malfunction, of course.

- I counted 4 out of 4 because you're Scarlet was supposed to be repaired and working.
 
Battery power or powersupply from wall?
Quite curious to know that as well. I'm betting from wall.

If it is, maybe the AC was faulty and damaged all the bodies ?
 
Hey that's really shitty. If I were you I'd be livid and would probably give up on red. That would be a reasonable response. Every now and then someone has really bad luck with red. I've used lots of them and they have been very solid 99 percent of the time . I really hope they take care of you. I'd request to talk to jarred.
 
1st incident: Scarlet-W, AC power (mains)
2nd incident: Loaner Epic, unable to record (different issue)
3rd incident: Scarlet-W, V-mount power source

I am partly trolling RED Berenger, because I'm pissed off! It frustrates me, the fact I have to send my camera back again, I've already lost clients and work from the first incident. It frustrates me that there's no RED techs in Australia and I have to send the camera back to the states and wait again. This whole experience has been dissapointing to say the least, I used a large amount of my savings to become a RED user and I've lost more than I've gained.
 
And I fully understand that your frustration, even anger!
I have Red Uk "near" home, and in the euro zone, so it's quite fast here to switch, but I feel your pain. When Red was only in the US back in the Red one days, it was 3 weeks of waiting. If you had to wait even half long, it's too long.

I hope you'll get well with Red, and i'm sure you'll find a common ground. They usually have killer service, just look at the psot about how they rock.
 
I had problems too when I got my Scarlet W but at Red Uk they have been super helpful. I understand how you feel but trust me when you will start to shoot with Red all this pain will be forgotten
 
Back
Top