Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet MX Mini Mags?

Mike Krumlauf

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
395
Reaction score
23
Points
18
Age
35
Location
Denver, CO
Website
www.youtube.com
Can you use the more modern Mini Mags on the Scarlet MX? Did RED ever made a module for the DSMC1 bodies to take Mini Mags? I enjoy the 1.8 Mags but the transfer speeds on the Red Station via firewire is slow on my M1 Mac Mini.
 
Yes you can get a Mini-Mag Side Module for DSMC1, but it would be wayyyyyyy cheaper (and just as fast) to upgrade to a USB3.0 1.8" reader first (presuming you can find one).

They'll be no advantage to the compression ratio on scarlet (x or dragon) when using mini-mags, so it'd be a needless/expensive change for nothing. Conversely, the USB3 1.8" mag reader (I believe it was called "1.8" Redmag Reader Mini" or something -- like it had "mini" in it too, just to keep it confusing) offloads at up to ~220meg/s, which is the real-world limit of USB3. Could offload a 128gb mag in less than 10mins (I think like ~7.5), whereas firewire was like ~22min, if memory serves.
 
Yes you can get a Mini-Mag Side Module for DSMC1, but it would be wayyyyyyy cheaper (and just as fast) to upgrade to a USB3.0 1.8" reader first (presuming you can find one).

They'll be no advantage to the compression ratio on scarlet (x or dragon) when using mini-mags, so it'd be a needless/expensive change for nothing. Conversely, the USB3 1.8" mag reader (I believe it was called "1.8" Redmag Reader Mini" or something -- like it had "mini" in it too, just to keep it confusing) offloads at up to ~220meg/s, which is the real-world limit of USB3. Could offload a 128gb mag in less than 10mins (I think like ~7.5), whereas firewire was like ~22min, if memory serves.

Good to know. I'll stick with the 1.8 then. Actually, upon inspecting the back of my red station, i remembered that i have Esata which i know has very high transfer speeds. Im sure my local Micro Center would have a USB C to esata hub of somekind and i could get what im looking for that way. :)
 
Good to know. I'll stick with the 1.8 then. Actually, upon inspecting the back of my red station, i remembered that i have Esata which i know has very high transfer speeds. Im sure my local Micro Center would have a USB C to esata hub of somekind and i could get what im looking for that way. :)

LOL! Yeah, eSata should *definitely* be faster, especially via USBc, but I think you'll need the USB-to-DC or AC power adapter for the Mag Reader as eSata doesn't carry power like Firewire/USB does.
 
LOL! Yeah, eSata should *definitely* be faster, especially via USBc, but I think you'll need the USB-to-DC or AC power adapter for the Mag Reader as eSata doesn't carry power like Firewire/USB does.

Where could I find the correct power adapter for the REDMAG 1.8 station to power it via AC so I can use eSata?
 
Hmm... I don't actually know; the mag readers came with both AC adapter and USB-to-DC cable in the box. Maybe ask your Bombsquad Rep? At the very least they can tell you what kind of connection it is and you can probably get one off Amazon.
 
Back
Top