Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet Helium?

Jeff Augustin

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NYC
Will we see a Scarlet Helium in the line up, or is the Epic-w the entry level to the Helium family?
What are your thoughts?
 
The Scarlet/Raven (even RedOne) 'entry-level' camera's have traditionally been limited to a maximum 4-4.5K resolution (@24fps), with an image format size of approx. Super-35mm motion picture film.

With the smaller (than Dragon & MX) Helium pixels, you get the 4K resolution with an image format size slightly larger than Super-16mm motion picture film.

Technically, no reason it couldn't be done, but I wonder if there's a market for that kind of camera, and if so whether it's one RED would be willing to enter into.
 
The Epic-W entry level pricing of $19k was sort of the Scarlet Helium, if you will (ie RED's indie entry price point for Helium).
 
I think the problem is the majority have been waiting a year or more and would take anything they could get their hands on:)

S35 scarlet what ever would have to be the min
 
The Epic-W entry level pricing of $19k was sort of the Scarlet Helium, if you will (ie RED's indie entry price point for Helium).


Epic-W's 19k price was ONLY offered to current owners of certain RED cameras and those who had an active invoice with either RED or one of their authorized dealers. For everyone else the list price was US$29,500.00 (for the brain only).

I know a bunch of people who got excited about the price and learned that they have to buy a few modules, a monitor, media, batteries and other essentials elevated the total price to 36 to over 40k range. And that was just the beginning!

At those $$ amounts, the Epic-W is NOT an indie entry level camera.
 
Epic-W's 19k price was ONLY offered to current owners of certain RED cameras and those who had an active invoice with either RED or one of their authorized dealers. For everyone else the list price was US$29,500.00 (for the brain only).

I know a bunch of people who got excited about the price and learned that they have to buy a few modules, a monitor, media, batteries and other essentials elevated the total price to 36 to over 40k range. And that was just the beginning!

At those $$ amounts, the Epic-W is NOT an indie entry level camera.


I've bought the cheapest 'proper' brain I can in the Scarlet, and bought the best DSMC2 accessories I'll need with a view to upgrading the brain as and when I can down the line. Last year red said they were committed to the DSMC2 ecosystem until 2020 so I think that is enough time to get value for money out of any extras I buy for it.
 
Back
Top