Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Rode Videomicro with Epic/Scarlet?

Dylan McLaughlin

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2013
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
San Francisco, CA
Hi folks, I'm about to dig into this to figure it out but thought I'd consult the wise about such things first.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


I'm curious about using the new Rode Videomicro with Red Epic/Scarlet. Here are Specs at B&H.

It requires power through the 3.5mm TRS. My first thought (and excuse me for sounded naive and unfamiliar with audio business) is that one could just send this signal through a Stereo To Mono adapter, but would this affect the mic being powered by the camera? In a very quick test I found I could get a signal if I only partially plugged in the 3.5mm TRS cable to the camera. Since the Mic requires power, does this mean 48V Phantom must be turned on for the input?

Maybe this is super simple, would appreciate any advice ;)
 
The tip-ring-sleeve assignment for the 3.5mm ports on the Epic and Scarlet bodies is non-standard, therefore most mics with 3.5mm TRS connectors do not function properly when plugged directly. Why would RED create their own unique standard? It's actually a clever scheme to support balanced or unbalanced sources with or without 48v phantom power using the ubiquitous 3.5mm TRS hardware.

So, Dylan, it's not super simple - unless of course the assignments happen to line up ;-)

Cheers - #19
 
When I was using my rode mic for a scratch mic I had to open up the mic and cut one of the wires to make it a mono signal and the. It worked, your better off going with a cheap Olympus mic and or an "A-box" and send a mic through XLR. My best advice is make really good friends with a sound guy.
 
I had the same idea but unpacking the VideoMicro and reading the included quickstart guide first thing i noticed was "Warning do not supply Phantom Power to the Video Micro. The VideoMicro requires Plugin power at 2-3 Volts.

Seems that 48v Phantom Power supplied by the Scarlet or Epic can damage the microphone.
Any luck getting the mic to work in the end on your Scarlet
 
i can try it but according to Bloom and others on the subject RED ports dont supply power. much less this "plug in power" needed for this mic, so it might be a wash for anyone trying to use it on a Red body with any cables/attachments
 
I just bought the Rode VideoMic X http://www.rode.com/microphones/stereovideomicx which has 2 Mini XLRs. So I connect them directly to the mini jacks - everything stays symmetrical, receives 48 volts and sounds brilliant - by far better than the solution with the the other Rodes.

Cheers
Thomas.
 
Back
Top