Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Redspace or REc 709 for Final Cut

bobbystone

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
210
Reaction score
0
Points
0
If I'm Coloring footage in Redcine to edit in 1080i for finishing and downcoverting to SD should I use redspace or redcine gamma? I'm assuming that I should use Camera RGB for the colrospace.

Thanks!
 
If I'm Coloring footage in Redcine to edit in 1080i for finishing and downcoverting to SD should I use redspace or redcine gamma? I'm assuming that I should use Camera RGB for the colrospace.

Thanks!

This is a good question. You are going to go through two different color spaces if you are cutting HD and finishing SD.

HD and SD are different color spaces.
HD>rec 709
SD>NTSC or PAL

I would recommend using REDSPACE for everything (even footage shot on build 15 benefits from REDSPACE.

You could also go the REDlog if this has the most DR.

This is my philosophy for SD finsihes.

Give yourself the best looking HD image you can work with, one with good dynamic range and decent color saturation with the blacks slightly raised. This way you can put back the blacks and not introduce too much noise in the chroma.

You will have to color correct in the final space (SD) or color correct in HD and then do an SD pass (which is reccomended).


You should really test this work flow with a small cut first.

Then come up with what works best for your production.

David
 
Back
Top