Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Redrock MicroMattebox

Bob Gruen

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Age
54
Location
Atlanta, Ga
Website
www.rannugmedia.com
As one of the first 50 reservation holders I finally got the Micro Mattebox. In short, it is top notch. There is nothing that can compare with it at this price point, period.

My current rig is not a RED cam, it is a HVX-200 / Redrock Micro35 / Canon / Marshall setup, so it's long. That being the case with the new mattebox mounted up it is only slightly nose heavy, moving the Marshall to behind the cam balances this out with the pivot roughly below the cam's sensor. A Red rig will be much more compact, and should balance easily with a drive and battery to counter balance the mattebox. Might be a bit more difficult to balance if you are shooting without a drive.

The neoprene donut seals work very well with the Canon lenses that I have, and the swing away arm works very well. Swapping prime lenses should be snap.

I just picked up a 9 month contract and I'm investigating the purchase and workflow impact of buying a Red One. I'll probably be placing a deposit in a month or two. To this end Redrock has stated that the mattebox mounting bracket for the Red rails will be available as a separate piece.

Bob
 
Thanks Bob - great to know.

These things should be pouring in soon. I can't wait.
 
Bob,
Could you or someone else who has a Redrock Matte box try putting in an Arri or Chrosziel bellows with a 138mm round stage and see if it actually does fit properly? Rubber donuts just don't cut it.
 
Sure would be nice to get a shipping notice - as my group is supposed to be shipping as of the 22nd of July...
 
any of the first owners want to sell, please let me know. We are gonna be out at Burning Man shooting, so I'm looking for a solution, as the Red Rock Matte Box won't ship to me in time.

Mike
 
Bob,
Could you or someone else who has a Redrock Matte box try putting in an Arri or Chrosziel bellows with a 138mm round stage and see if it actually does fit properly? Rubber donuts just don't cut it.


I think it would be easy to make a bellows for it. The design has a few tabs around the inner perimeter of the main opening. The donuts simply sit between the tabs and the exterior lip. If you are good as sewing it would be very easy to make a piano wire ring and sew up a bellows with an elastic center opening. Depending on the variation of your lens diameters you might need more than one bellows. I think I'd get thin piano wire and plan on looping the ring three or four times.

I'd try the donuts first however. Keep in mind that you are just stopping light flair from the back. Also, for odd sized lenses I think Redrock is going to offer blanks, so pick up some new X-acto blades and dig that old Sesame Street turntable out of the garage (you know where it is, right?)

Bob
 
Congrats , are you from the golden group ?

Nope...just the reservation list. I did not get the 19mm swing arm. Instead I got a Zacuto Jeep, which will hopefully work.
 
Bob,
Could you or someone else who has a Redrock Matte box try putting in an Arri or Chrosziel bellows with a 138mm round stage and see if it actually does fit properly? Rubber donuts just don't cut it.

Brian from Redrock has said that the Arri bellows will work fine.
 
Back
Top