Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Redcode Comparions / Calculations

Chris Jordan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
535
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
NYC ✈ Utah ✈ LA
So I was laying in bed this morning just feeling super lucky to even own a Dragon, and the fact that I had left over pizza in the fridge just waiting for me to have for breakfast. Somehow that started this thought:

"I'm shooting 6K RC 10:1 then 5K 8:1, would they have the same size file? OR would 6K 10:1 and 5K 10:1 be the same size file....?

Thanks for the input, and if anyone wants some breakfast, i'm serving up in a few.
 
I've actually been meaning to do some redcode comparisons myself. I think probably the best way to stress test it would be to shoot something like a windy wheat field, and a smooth gradient at various ISOs.

Looking forward to seeing yours!
 
The math is pretty straight forward.

Code:
Width * Height * 1/REDCODE = Datarate. 

So 6k:  6144 (h) x 3160 (v) = 19,415,040 / 10 = 1,941,504

vs 5k: 5120 (h) x 2700 (v) = 13,824,000 / x = 1,941,504

== : 13,824,000(x/x) = 1,941,504x
== : 13,824,000/1,941,504 = 1,941,504x/1,941,504
== : x = 7.12

So Redcode 7:1 5k == REDCode 10:1 6k.

If you want to skip the "showing your work" the equation can be reduced:

(SmallFormat.Height * SmallFormat.Width) / (LargeFormat.Height * LargeFormat.Width / LargeFormat.REDCode) = SmallFormat.REDCode

LargeFormat 6k HD : 5617 (h) x 3160 (v), REDCode 8:1
SmallFormat UHD : 3840 (h) x 2160 (v)

What REDCode would we be able to use to match 6k HD at 8:1 compression?


(3840 * 2160) / (5617 * 3160 / 8) = 3.73 ---> REDCODE 4:1
 
Thanks so much GAVIN. I honestly don't notice a difference from 9:1 - 11:1.. Does it matter than much if i'm shooting for myself without any need for Motion graphics or special effects?
 
+1 on the sticky. Thanks Gavin for the information!
 
The one thing that should be pointed out here with wavelets is that larger compression ratios hold up better as the resolution increases. We get more efficient compression when there is more data to sample and interpolate into wavelet structures. So 10:1 at 6K is going to be visually comparable to 7:1 or 8:1 at 5K. That's an arbitrary and approximate example, we would have to conduct specific testing or talk to the compression gurus at RED to get a more direct answer. It's just something to consider when shooting Dragon at 6K, knowing that you don't have to stress as much over the higher RedCode numbers we often see.

I also think a sticky is warranted for the wedges.
 
The one thing that should be pointed out here with wavelets is that larger compression ratios hold up better as the resolution increases. We get more efficient compression when there is more data to sample and interpolate into wavelet structures. So 10:1 at 6K is going to be visually comparable to 7:1 or 8:1 at 5K.

I believed that too until I tested the motion wedges. The problem is that REDCode isn't a straight RGB wavelet encoding it heavily favors the Luma channel and aggressively throws away Hue and Saturation data. The result is that you get really bad 'flicker' at higher encoding ratios. So while you would expect it to generally soften the image from 6k 10:1 down to about the same sharpness of 7:1 5k what really happens is that it's 6k sharpness but like 2k chroma. vs 5k sharpness with 4k chroma.
 
Back
Top