Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

REDCINE Playback Slow

Casey Green

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
2,101
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.redcamcentral.com
Sometimes REDCINE plays back clips at near 24 fps, but other times, the exact same clip will stutter.

I so far have not found what exactly is causing this.

I try to close other background apps and free up memory and processor resources, but sometimes even 2K clips playback stuttered or slow, and then after a while, they are fine.

I'm sure many others have seen this issue... it seems like a memory leak or another bug. If the CPU is capable of playing it back normally, then there should be a way to ensure this always is the case, or perhaps a warning when you are low on system resources needed for real-time proxy and REDCINE playback.

I'm using a Mac Book Pro with OSX 10.4.1 and QT 7.3
Latest REDCINE

thanks,
 
Remember that RedCine is GPU based, not CPU based, so the issue is more likely a problem on that side of the processing pipeline.

Sorry I can't help more :(

Paul
 
RedCine relies heavily on both the CPU AND GPU.

As I understand it, the CPU handles the debayering and wavelet decompression. The GPU handles scaling, LUTs & any grading. Both need to work together in harmony if you want to get the best performance.

I can say that we see stable performance in RedCINE when using Quadro cards (with the right drivers) and good fast CPUs. At least on the Windows side...

I don't have much experience with the OSX option, so I can't comment on that. sorry...
 
thanks for your replies.

I am still confused as to why sometimes REDCINE plays back in near realtime, and other times, with the exact same file or project, it stutters quite a bit.

I try to quit any other running programs and still get varying results. Even with 2K files, sometimes they play just fine and I'll open the same file and it has trouble playing at all.

The latest release of REDCINE say it deals with an issue that sounds similar, but I have not noticed any improvement after updating.

Anyone else notice this inconsistency?
 
thanks for your replies.

I am still confused as to why sometimes REDCINE plays back in near realtime, and other times, with the exact same file or project, it stutters quite a bit.

I try to quit any other running programs and still get varying results. Even with 2K files, sometimes they play just fine and I'll open the same file and it has trouble playing at all.

Casey,

Realtime playback on any laptop is always going to be sketchy. Sounds like something is taking CPU cycles on your laptop. What other background stuff do you have installed? Update Manager? Anti-virus of any kind? Any kind of indexing software?

Sit there quietly for a few minutes with your laptop and don't do anything. Are there any kind of hits on disk? Always a reason for that...

It is very hard to tune a "standard" laptop enough to really get that kind of consistent throughput. I have a bad-ass XP laptop with tons of memory, the right graphics card, a fast disk... and realtime can still be sketchy sometimes.

It is never sketchy on any of the several deskside systems that ASSIMILATE has - on both OSX and XP.

Best,

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
I can say that we see stable performance in RedCINE when using Quadro cards (with the right drivers) and good fast CPUs. At least on the Windows side...
I can back this up. My system is a Quad Core 3.2GHz machine with an Nvidia 8800GTX and since I figured out and fixed the videocard temperature problem I had last week, it has been running like a champ again!

HTH

Paul
 
Casey,

Realtime playback on any laptop is always going to be sketchy. Sounds like something is taking CPU cycles on your laptop. What other background stuff do you have installed? Update Manager? Anti-virus of any kind? Any kind of indexing software?

Sit there quietly for a few minutes with your laptop and don't do anything. Are there any kind of hits on disk? Always a reason for that...

It is very hard to tune a "standard" laptop enough to really get that kind of consistent throughput. I have a bad-ass XP laptop with tons of memory, the right graphics card, a fast disk... and realtime can still be sketchy sometimes.

It is never sketchy on any of the several deskside systems that ASSIMILATE has - on both OSX and XP.

Best,

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA

It's a Mac Book Pro, no anti-virus, no unusual applications running. Sometimes clips play fine, and other times, the exact same clip plays slow. I'm still looking into why this occurs, but so far have not found any common denominator.
 
unfortunately, no matter how much I may like assimilate logics, REDcine sucks when it comes to OSX finder integration.

You could have the activity console open, listed after CPU usage and switch between REDcine and console with cmd-tab if REDcine would only allow it....
 
Back
Top