Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Redcine "passthrough"

KStephens

Active member
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm wondering what the minimal processing needed for R3D files is? After the bayer demosaicing, would you need to do anything else or couldn't you just dump it directly into 16-bit files (or 12-bit)? Would there be any reason to store in floating-point depth? Basically, I'm wondering what to do in Redcine to get a "passthrough" operation so that I just get "raw" video data (with as much information as possible) for processing elsewhere.

I think it would be nice if I could invoke Redcine from the command line and just have it dump X-Y frames from file Z in some format...

There doesn't happen to be a Red SDK, I suppose? :p There are a couple programs that could do with an R3D plug-in...
 
Red SDK, windows/linux, etc. are all coming soon. Stay tuned :)
Things have to settle down a bit with the features a bit before we
can release an SDK.
 
It's best to let RED software do the white balance where a) it has the metadata and b) can do it correctly and c) do it in linear light. I'd not advise trying to get raw raw output for that reason.

What I'd do is make sure that the exposure isn't clipping highlights (back it off a little as needed), use a neutral setting on brightness, contrast and saturation, and set a correct white balance.

Then export with REC709 Gamma or REDLOG as appropriate.

Graeme
 
Excellent. Thanks very much for your replies!

:)
 
Graeme the problem I'm having with backing off exposure a bit is it's not being gentle to the blacks in the channels and I'm seeing hard clipping to black.

Is this something which RED is working to address in REDCine?
 
Red SDK, windows/linux, etc. are all coming soon. Stay tuned :)
Things have to settle down a bit with the features a bit before we
can release an SDK.

That just made my day. :greedy: I can't wait.
 
Gavin,

I've never seen -ve adjustments of exposure clip blacks - ever.

Graeme
 
Back
Top