Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED101 DVD Now Shipping!

btw, I'm in Sydney Australia.....things normally take a while from the states to me, but haven't waited as long as one week for a dvd, just checking :)
 
Kieth we use USPS priority mail and are told to expect 10 -12 working days before asking questions.

That said, someone in your neck of the woods got it in THREE days one time.

Bottom line: I have no friggin idea how they work, but let's give them the 12 working days before we think about re-shipping (Which we will do)

Jay
 
3 days? wowee...but I guess those are rare :)

No problem ill hang for a bit and see what happens, thanks for the help Jay!
 
Arctic X Shield Ships Next Week!!

Arctic X Shield Ships Next Week!!

Here's a little gift for you people that purchased RED's and may want to get an Arctic X.

Warning: ONLY those people who have purchased RED's are eligible for this. I will be checking.
http://www.arcticx.net/loyal/loyal.html

For those of you who are looking to buy a RED now and want an Arctic X, fear not... Just look at the website:

www.arcticx.net

Let me know what you think! It was a lot of work.. They will be shipping next Wednesday or so.

Jay

:party:
 
hi Jay,
DVD came in the day after my last post where I was wondering what took so long, go figure hehe.

Just got through 1/2 of DVD1, very very helpful DVD for a newcomer like me to the RED, I liked how you use easy to understand language so you don't get lost in jargon, the demonstrations are wonderful (monkey see monkey do, right?) and nice touch of humor in there to make it entertaining to watch!

Just wanted to say thanks again Jay for this lovely production, I'll be good to go when we do our hire for our shoot and the lady goes "You used this before?" lol
 
I'm thrilled you liked it Kieth!

It was a lot of work, but I have to say it's been worth it big time. If you are a member over at Amazon, then please do me a favor and head over there and search for RED101. Then throw down this nice review.. It helps!

Take care!

Jay
 
Couple notes:

the RED101 DVD is up for a few awards.. I'll keep you posted.
Acrtic X shields are officially in full swing with 5 already out the door, and 8 more to leave Monday.

The new Lithium Polymer batteries are now here, but in limited supply.

Just one will power your shield for over three hours.

Sweet.

Jay
 
RED101 DVD status update

RED101 DVD status update

Want to give you all an idea as to where the DVD is and how it's been doing.

The DVD has exceeded everyone's expectations. Everyone seems to get a lot out of it, and it's doing well.

HOWEVER: Many of you have written/called/smoke signaled me about what you want to see, and what you are looking for now.

I hear ya... I'm on it.

I cannot go into too many details cause everyone may jump on this.

What I CAN tell you is that we are making a NEW DVD as a supplament to the current series in order to address those things that people are looking for.

While this DVD will be able to stand on it's own, it will refer to a number of modules that are in the RED101.

Current RED101 customers will get a discount on this DVD, and people that buy them both as package will get a discount as well.

I hope to have more to tell you in the coming 2 weeks.. So stay tuned.

If you are looking to buy a RED101 now, do not worry about the new DVD, you will get the discount either way.

Jay Kelley
Host, creator, RED101 DVD

PS you are welcome to tell me what you are looking for in a training DVD.. It has to be in the film / video industry, but I am always open.
 
NEW way to use RED

NEW way to use RED

I want to say that after I post this, I will be moving to a small island with no reference to the outside world. In my own defense I would say "Jim, please don't stick the dogs on me for this, I've used the camera for a long time, and I do NOT consider this to be the "only way" it's just an option for a specific purpose".

That said, with the addition of Build 30, RED gave us a CLEAN HD-SDI OUT. This opens some serious options for those of us who may be required to deliver footage same day for certain corporate clients. Here's the result of some testing I have done.

(this info will most likely be on the next DVD, but I wanted to put it here for my RED101 peeps!)

We decided to test the Nano Flash for recording off the RED HD-SDI port. We spent 5 hours testing it yesterday, here were the concerns and results:

• Unlike other cameras, RED is both downsizing, and debayering it’s image BEFORE it goes to HD-SDI port. Question: Would the quality be “recordable” or simply a visual reference.
o To answer this we put the RED next to a Varicam, and monitored the HD-SDI out using DSCLabs chart and models.
o ANSWER: The quality of the HD-SDI out of the RED is as good or slightly better than the varicam. Which allowed us to move to the next step.
• Since RED owners are used to a certain quality level, we checked the HD-SDI out against a fully developed RED R3d file downrezzed to 720p for comparison
o Results: RED’s R3d file was much sharper and cleaner in quality that the HD-SDI out.
o ANSWER: Using the HD-SDI out on the RED is a realistic replacement for a normal broadcast camera, but NOT for RED’s R3D files.

• Will the NanoFlash record the video feed from RED running at 23.97
o ANSWER: No. Not the current build. But I read that a beta build that’s currently out might (I get “intermittent source” warnings on the current build)
• Will the NanoFlash record the video feed from RED running at 29.97
o YES. No problems at all.
• How well does sound sync?
o Unknown at this time. .We have not yet tested sound.
• Additional info: We tested both the 50Mbs and 100Mbs bit rates going to QuickTime and then testing on Final Cut Pro.. We saw no real differences in quality. And Final Cut played the files with no issues.
• IMPORTANT NOTE: It is advisable that you must STILL record to a RED hard drive or CF card when recording sound for both back up purposes, AND to avoid FAN NOISE from the camera.

Final recommendations: Between the addition of Build 30’s clean HD-SDI out, and products like the Nano-Flash, RED has just opened a new door for more fast turnaround work. Not only that, but now you have a way to take advantage of RED's AMAZING look thereby "spanking" the HVX200, 300, EX3 crowd but still offering "edit friendly" files at the end of the day.

A $300 64gb Delkin card will give you excellent 50Mbit quality for over 80min of record time.

One last time: There is a noticable difference in quality between an R3D file and a recorded image off the HD-SDi port. So using the method I described does NOT get the most out of your RED. It does compare favorablely (Or better) to other broadcast cameras out there.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay

RED Guys... THANK YOU for putting this feature on... The revenue my camera just increased by 30% in 24 hours.

One more: There are OTHER recording sources available.. I will be posting info about them as I get them.

:party:
 
Thanks for your test. Maybe it is time for the DSR-570 to retire?

Did you by any chance get to test 25 fps?

No not yet Martin, but for YOU... I will try to do so.. I am TOLD it will work.

But so far I have only had luck wth 29.97...

I need to test sound sync also.. This will all happen tonight.

I have THREE jobs I am replacing with RED now that I have this new feature.

Sweet...

Jay
 
Great Discovery, Jay. Thanks for sharing it.

Just noticed that you didn't mention what quality you were recording at on the camera. Does it make a difference in the quality of the HD-SDI out image when you record 2k or 4k?
 
Next week I can test the AJA Ki Pro. I'm in testing mode now with it for our HDX-900's.
 
RED101 DVD at NAB

RED101 DVD at NAB

For those of you that are interested, I will be a NAB with a few online "buddies" and we'll have some RED101 DVDs on hand. We are not allowed to sell on the floor, but if you can find me (You will see me wearing a shirt with the DVD on it) I'll give you a card with a discount and perhaps I might "just happpen to have" a DVD on me. :sleep:

We'll also have details about a new DVD for you Epic and Scarlet fans that should be coming out later this summer.

This will be a cool way to save some coin, and avoid shipping costs!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jay Kelley
Host / Creator
RED101 DVD
 
I'm a recent RED Owner and I'm really interested in buying the DVD. Quick question:

What build is the camera in the RED 101 DVD?

Sorry, if this has already been answered
 
I think it's 21.. We will have a new DVD coming out soon to address this.. Current RED101 DVD owners will be taken care of. (Cost of new DVD for current owners- less than $20)

Jay
 
Got the discs, watched most of it.

First things first...Jay, I'm glad that filmmaking, and not comedy, is the source of your livelihood :p

Second, I thought the disc was a great primer on the R1 and helped to explain things in a pretty understandable way for even my wife.

Thanks,
Andrew
 
Back
Top