Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED weapon inconsistent boot up.

Justin Gum

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Hey guys. Just got my weapon a few days ago and have been testing it for a bit. However, I have been noticing something that is very odd.

Whenever I boot up the camera, the light above the power button would turn green, but then screen would not show an image. This would happen after numerous power cycles, removing the mag, booting it while the mag is inside the media bay. I just can't seem to figure out what causes the camera to turn on and then just not show anything on my screen. Any time I boot up, I always have to wonder if I will have to force shut down the camera because it doesn't show anything on the screen.

Is anyone else having the same issues or knows what this is caused by?
 
What other accessories do you have attached to the camera? Do you have a top plate on the camera?
 
Bob, that's a valid point. Although I've detached and reattached the monitor several times since I got it last week and I've had the same problem throughout my shoot. Thoughts?
 
Matthew, I just have the outrigger and the display on it. no top plate no accessory that could possibly inhibit connection.
 
Do both of your LED lights turn green fairly quickly? I had this happen to my camera and I believe they replaced some components when I sent it in for repair. I powered down the camera one afternoon and came back 5 minutes later to power it back up with no luck, other than blank screens (no power to the LCD or sidekick). No amounts of reboots, hardware builds, or firmware updates worked.

They couldn't find anything in the logs, but found the issue during inspection. Just wish they told me what it was so I could help you !
 
If you have a module that can give you hdmi or sdi out, I would see if you can get a feed directly from the brain itself. My guess would be the monitor being faulty.


Maybe want to try and connect your monitor to the side evf pogo output n see what happens there.
 
You might want to put a pice of tape over the contacts on the top of the camera if the out riggers are covering those contacts. Might make some contact there and the camera cannot figure out which monitor is connected.
I usually put a strip of paper tape over the contacts on top of the camera.
If you can check the out put with a HDSDI connection or a alternate monitor/EVF. Also on the sidekick if you have one, scroll thorough the menu and check in the monitor display menu section what your monitor is set to priority and what displays are on or turned off. I have this issue that I ether choose to clean screen a monitor or shut it off and then end up having to connect a second monitor to see how the monitor displays menu is set and turn those other monitor functions on.
 
Do both of your LED lights turn green fairly quickly? I had this happen to my camera and I believe they replaced some components when I sent it in for repair. I powered down the camera one afternoon and came back 5 minutes later to power it back up with no luck, other than blank screens (no power to the LCD or sidekick). No amounts of reboots, hardware builds, or firmware updates worked.

They couldn't find anything in the logs, but found the issue during inspection. Just wish they told me what it was so I could help you !

Actually this is something I noticed. The LEDs are inconsistent as well. Sometimes the LED on the media bay will not turn on. Then the LED on the top of the power button will turn green but not the one below it. It's just odd. I may get need to get this looked at it for sure, given your situation seemed very similar to mine. Thanks for this! I tried restoring the camera, wiping it, re-upgrading firmware. nothing.
 
If you have a module that can give you hdmi or sdi out, I would see if you can get a feed directly from the brain itself. My guess would be the monitor being faulty.


Maybe want to try and connect your monitor to the side evf pogo output n see what happens there.

Yea I'm not completely sure if it's either a connection issue, a brain issue or a monitor issue. But I've been able to get feed from both POGO outputs. It's just that it's inconsistent when booting up. Like flipping a coin to see whether it will turn on or not.
 
You might want to put a pice of tape over the contacts on the top of the camera if the out riggers are covering those contacts. Might make some contact there and the camera cannot figure out which monitor is connected.
I usually put a strip of paper tape over the contacts on top of the camera.
If you can check the out put with a HDSDI connection or a alternate monitor/EVF. Also on the sidekick if you have one, scroll thorough the menu and check in the monitor display menu section what your monitor is set to priority and what displays are on or turned off. I have this issue that I ether choose to clean screen a monitor or shut it off and then end up having to connect a second monitor to see how the monitor displays menu is set and turn those other monitor functions on.

The outrigger isn't actually covering any contacts that would inhibit the connection of the monitor, as there are two separate connections. But I will definitely double check the monitor display area. I don't have the sidekick but I can access that through the menu. Thanks!
 
So, small update. or big, depending how you guys take it. The camera will not boot up at all past the fans whirring. It shows the LED above the power button going yellow and then green, but the LED below it doesn't turn on and the media bay with a loaded mag will not turn on (aka recognize a mag is in there). Past that, every time I've tried, which is close to about 10-15 times thus far, I've failed to have the screen show anything. I've detached, reattached, connected HDMI tv, put the RED LCD on the side, pressed and held the power button, did all kinds of things. Nothing. No image. Just black.

I'm kinda freakin' out now since I have a shoot coming up next week and I was going to use it in Seattle, where I was going to shoot a music video starting tomorrow. I'm pretty distraught right now. This is my first RED camera and I've waited months for this thing to arrive. Not sure what my options are. it looks like I'll have to cancel my flight to Seattle to get this thing figured out by next week's gig... sigh :(
 
Bummer, u will definitely have to send it in, see if they will give u a loaner
 
Back
Top