Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red Weapon fan noise?

Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.heb2.tv
Hi people,

A question for those who've worked with both the Epic Dragon and the Weapon -- how does the new model's fan noise (or overall operation noise) compare to the previous model? What is the general impression?

I'm concerned about noisy sound recordings in small closed environments and when using an on-board microphone (in run and gun situations). I've used the epic dragon before and the sound levels were mostly acceptable when recording, but I'm wondering whether the Weapon seems noisier or quieter to those who can make the comparison.

thanks,
Mich'ael
 
To give you a idea on how loud side by side, 100% fan on the weapon is 60% on the epic dragon.
 
Quiet. Very Quiet. Makes you wonder if it's actually on.

Really? I have adaptive quiet on and I can't even hear a difference between when it's on standby and when it's rolling... the fans are louder than my Epic Dragon. Normal room temperature 18-20 degrees celsius, freshly black shaded.

Do you hear when I'm pressing record?
Fan noise playback
 
Really? I have adaptive quiet on and I can't even hear a difference between when it's on standby and when it's rolling... the fans are louder than my Epic Dragon. Normal room temperature 18-20 degrees celsius, freshly black shaded.

Do you hear when I'm pressing record?
Fan noise playback
theres a bug in both adaptive quiet and also in quiet record modes. Use adaptive or manual only.
 
theres a bug in both adaptive quiet and also in quiet record modes. Use adaptive or manual only.

A bug for the current firmware you mean? Cause I've only had troubles with the latest release build and I can't roll back from it. We need to have a new release build asap.
 
theres a bug in both adaptive quiet and also in quiet record modes. Use adaptive or manual only.

Would be good to have a confirm about this. Is it a bug in the current firmware? Cause I can't shoot anything with sound right now.
 
Hello,

I have had a Scarlet-W for quite a few months now. I have not used the Epic Dragon, but have used the just the regular Epic I am assuming the two are the same since the only difference that I know of is the sensor). My Scarlet-W is super quiet. Just F.Y.I. there are different modes such as "adaptive" so that you can leave the fan on/off while recording, continuous, etc. Note that if the body/sensor temperature gets too warm, even if you set it to stay quiet on a permanent basis, it will still kick on regardless to protect the camera. So if you are running it all day especially in warm environments, keep this in mind. But overall, with the new scratch audio speakers in the front (which sound AMAZINGLY good) I am happy with the design and how quiet it is. I have listened to the scratch audio in various conditions and you can't even hear it.
 
Has anyone definitively identified the adaptive quiet and quiet modes as having a bug in the latest firmware? I've noticed since updating soundies are complaining about the noise a lot more than previously.. and it does seem adaptive quiet and quiet modes are not as quiet as what i'd expect (based on running prior to the most recent 1-2 firmware updates). It's much colder here now in Melb than months ago when I never really noticed the fan so much (nor had complaints from sound dept).

Any thoughts / experiences / suggestions from others appreciated..
 
Back
Top