Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red trade in sensor upgrade: From Dragon X to HELIUM

Roberto Leone

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Messages
149
Reaction score
2
Points
18
I'm a Dragon X 6K owner, and i would like to upgrade to Helium 8k, my questions is: The Helium will be the 8k 60fps version? or the standard Epic-W 8k 30fps?
 
I'm a Dragon X 6K owner, and i would like to upgrade to Helium 8k, my questions is: The Helium will be the 8k 60fps version? or the standard Epic-W 8k 30fps?

There is no Epic W anymore. It's just full Helium with max specs.
 
It's Helium 8K 60fps. That Epic-W was a mistake. Not sure what they were thinking with that one. Everyone who was suckered into buying that camera has since upgraded. That Dragon sensor is actually a little bigger than the Helium sensor and I've shot both back to back in 6K, the Dragon footage almost looked better because it's using the entire sensor. Unless you really need 8K, I'd stick with the Dragon or move up to the Monstro personally.
 
It's Helium 8K 60fps. That Epic-W was a mistake. Not sure what they were thinking with that one. Everyone who was suckered into buying that camera has since upgraded. That Dragon sensor is actually a little bigger than the Helium sensor and I've shot both back to back in 6K, the Dragon footage almost looked better because it's using the entire sensor. Unless you really need 8K, I'd stick with the Dragon or move up to the Monstro personally.

I don't know what you are talking about. The Helium camera uses the entire sensor just as any other offering by RED. Unless you own one, you'd come up with speculative garbage you have no clue of.
 
I don't know what you are talking about. The Helium camera uses the entire sensor just as any other offering by RED. Unless you own one, you'd come up with speculative garbage you have no clue of.

I think you misinterpreted what he’s saying, as he’s actually correct; re-read what he wrote... He thinks Epic-W was a mistake and should have only been Weapon Helium/DSMC2 Helium. With Epic-W you need to window down to 6k before you get decent HFR (if memory serves EW only did 40fps at 8kWS). And in either case, Dragon 6k is actually ~1mm bigger horizontally than Helium 8k (and substantially bigger when comparing Dragon 6k to Helium cropped to 6k).

The OP just wanted to make sure the Dragon-X to Helium upgrade was to go to DSMC2 Unified Helium and not an Epic-W (which has been discontinued for obvious reasons, which is what Trenton was referring to).
 
Last edited:
It's Helium 8K 60fps. That Epic-W was a mistake. Not sure what they were thinking with that one. Everyone who was suckered into buying that camera has since upgraded. That Dragon sensor is actually a little bigger than the Helium sensor and I've shot both back to back in 6K, the Dragon footage almost looked better because it's using the entire sensor. Unless you really need 8K, I'd stick with the Dragon or move up to the Monstro personally.

And we all jumped into the weapon from it.... :)
 
Back
Top