Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red scarlet MX losing the date and informations data

olivier verdoot

New member
Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone,

I just want to understand why my red scarlet loose date and informations data each time i change the battery or shut down the camera ?
Thanks for your help
Olivier
 
I've had it happen to both of my cameras.
There is an internal battery that needs to be changed... by sending your camera back to RED.
 
Same happened to me about 3 years after I got mine. $676 repair cost if your warranty expired.
 
This has happen to at least half the RED DSMC camera owners I personally know (and that wasn't including *both* of Glen's -- so it's probably more like 60%). Off the top of my head, everyone I know that has *not* had it happen went through multiple upgrade stages (so they swapped their brains multiple times over a 4 year period...)

And I continue to say the same thing when these posts come up: it's a stupidly expensive fix for what amounts to a $1 dead clock battery that should've been user replaceable to begin with (and apparently it's still happening to DSMC2/Weapons as well.) Kinda lame.
 
Last edited:
I'm in this boat now but do not plan to get it fixed. Really a major fail on RED's part not to correct this most basic of user issues. The battery should be user replaceable.
 
Wow I just got a Scarlet MX and I'm sure this will happen to me down the road. $676 and camera out of commission for days to replace that?? No thanks...

Awesome camera and all, but no way should that be happening.
 
I have the same issue now after 2 upgrades from scarlet to epic mx to epic dragon. epic dragon upgrade was performed 30 months ago. is there any word from red about this and is it really hundreds of dollars to fix it? i can’t believe it.
 
Looks like I have the issue, too. Any downside to leaving it other than metadata being wrong? Keeps all my settings (resolution, frame rate, ISO etc), so I'm not sure it's worth more than $600, shipping fees and camera downtime to fix this.

Maybe only issue is timecode resetting when powering down/rebooting etc on the same shoot. Would have to jam again every time. (had that happen on a set I was assisting on once.) Other than that don't thing any problems. I actually have a soft key set on my camera to bring up the date/time display so if I remember at the start of the shoot I just bring up the menu set my time and then start my shoot.
 
Think I'm having the same issue - my Scarlet-MX won't remember stuff like overlay settings, SSD time versus % remaining.....

Anyone found a hacky way to do this themselves? If it's out of warranty anyway.....
 
Tom. Did you find a solution?


Think I'm having the same issue - my Scarlet-MX won't remember stuff like overlay settings, SSD time versus % remaining.....

Anyone found a hacky way to do this themselves? If it's out of warranty anyway.....
 
I was just told by a RED technician in support that for a full recharge of the internal battery you need to have it run for 35 hours straight for a complete recharge. Apparently it doesn't recharge when plugged into AC or a battery and in the OFF position and the camera (Epic-W) not running. Sorry, but that is what I was just told, at least for the Epic-W.
 
I was just told by a RED technician in support that for a full recharge of the internal battery you need to have it run for 35 hours straight for a complete recharge. Apparently it doesn't recharge when plugged into AC or a battery and in the OFF position and the camera (Epic-W) not running. Sorry, but that is what I was just told, at least for the Epic-W.

Yeah, we've heard about that "solution" in the other *big* thread on this issue.

Unfortunately the 30hour charging is for DSMC2 only and still doesn't work every time. DSMC1 cameras gotta go back for a $300-700 "repair". Apparently someone in the other thread replaced the battery themselves by tearing down an out of warranty camera (not sure I'd risk it though).
 
This is the absolute stupidest thing I have ever read.
Absolutely idiotic design, a problem that simply should not exist.
 
This is the absolute stupidest thing I have ever read.
Absolutely idiotic design, a problem that simply should not exist.

Sooo stupid. I have had my Raven for 5 months, is the internal battery 5 years or older ... ?

Videocameras for $500 are better than this.
 
I was just told by a RED technician in support that for a full recharge of the internal battery you need to have it run for 35 hours straight for a complete recharge. Apparently it doesn't recharge when plugged into AC or a battery and in the OFF position and the camera (Epic-W) not running. Sorry, but that is what I was just told, at least for the Epic-W.

My new Raven had initial issues with loosing date and time and even loosing FPS settings. I was told by Red technician to charge my camera for 36 hours and this did the trick, and now it is resolved
 
I was just told by a RED technician in support that for a full recharge of the internal battery you need to have it run for 35 hours straight for a complete recharge. Apparently it doesn't recharge when plugged into AC or a battery and in the OFF position and the camera (Epic-W) not running. Sorry, but that is what I was just told, at least for the Epic-W.

Same boat here, second time my battery's gone and since the camera's no longer supported, it's extremely unlikely I'll be sending it back. That means all shoots going forward or indeed the future sale of the camera has to account for this problem.

Looking at the images Toni Tur posted, the battery in the MX (Epic) isn't rechargeable, so any suggestion of leaving it on to recharge seems incorrect. Some batteries will recover slightly with heat and I suspect that accounts for my Scarlet retaining the date & time if I leave it on for an hour, disconnect all power, then restart. After ten or fifteen minutes though it's back to 2010.

It's rock solid in every other way and still shoots great images, but I'd really prefer to not have this as an issue at all.

M
 
Back
Top