Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all part of the same process.

At a guess the new card is using a variant of the ASIC being developed for the DSMC line. Once that design is finalised, the rest of the card isn't that difficult in comparison...

Exactly! The first thing that went through my head when I saw the announcement was "Oh good, it looks like their ASIC development is going well!"
 
Exactly! The first thing that went through my head when I saw the announcement was "Oh good, it looks like their ASIC development is going well!"

This would amortize their ASIC R&D over many, many, more units. I thought of this as soon as I heard that those ASIC things can only do what they are designed to do. I had no idea it would come true.

The problem though, would be that the ASIC can only do the debayering and maybe a few other things needed by the camera. So it won't handle additional processing for grading, unless Red is holding out on some crazy non-RAW type features that would require manipulation of the image for a broadcast ready output.

Or, if that dream doesn't come true, Red Rocket could be a whole lot more than just a card but, a few different "cards" put together. They could have slapped a couple of NVIDIA or ATI cores on it along side ASIC, making it their own do-it-all monster card/box.

Given the prices that Red has been putting out I wouldn't put it past them to offer an all in one for $4,500.

or using a license from the architecture and design of the Quadro...

knowing what the heck this thing looks like might make this a lot easier...
 
That's all the news from Red? What happened to Scarlet? Not even a photograph of the 2 month old mock-up?
 
OMG this is the greatest thing I've ever heard, SOLD right now!
 
There is still one more announcement to come according to Jannard. Camera protos are being shown at the party tonight. No doubt photo's will do the rounds soon after.
 
Obviously a mobile version needs to be eventually implemented, even if its a scaled down version....

But the question I have is... Can I put two or more of these into a rendering box and have the system truly fly? We have dual CPU quad cores, dual SLI video cards, we want to have dual Red Rockets!
 
I think you are on the money there as ever Michael. I think it is DVS, and as ever your points are well made!
 
As mentioned on the other threads, why oh why did they limit it to 8-bit DVI?

Cause Apple have this new display tech that don't do 10bit.

You're going to have to wait till Apple upgrades display port or what ever it's called.

Get a PC if you want the extra bits.
 
Jim et al

This is really exciting news and we're looking forward to hearing more details on the card.

We now BADLY need some affordable 4K monitors - they're being made right now in Taiwan, all we need is someone like Jim and Red to bulk purchase these and bring the price down to something manageable.

Oh and while I'm drooling over my wish list, I would love someone to produce an ENG style servo zoom PL mount lens for Red. We do so much TV work where we're constantly up against tight deadlines and this would allow us to use our Red for much more than just our very high end shoots.

Come on Jim, if anyone can do this it's you :sifone:
 
The problem though, would be that the ASIC can only do the debayering and maybe a few other things needed by the camera. So it won't handle additional processing for grading, unless Red is holding out on some crazy non-RAW type features that would require manipulation of the image for a broadcast ready output.

RT RAW and RGB grading is happening now. The problem with R3D RAW is currently the heavy CPU power that is needed to perform the debayering (transcoding of compressed Raw to RGB) through Red's SDK. Via GPU this can be accomplished much easier (see IRIDAS.com for instance). The new hardware based R3D debayer tool will do the power consuming debayering while the GPU can do the grading, all RT. With a NVIDIA SDI board a full debayer plus colour correction in RT to Tape (HDCAM SR) will be possible. Many applications that already have Red's SDK inplemented will have a big boost. How this will work out in reality - we will see.

Anyway, this board will be a big, big helper and makes a new GPU based SDK obsolete. Great!

Hans
 
Great...now if COLOR could do a full debayer a lot of indies would be happy.

for the big boys dvs seems to be the hot chick in town
 
Sounds like this is a lot like the board they would need for the RED RAY. Presuming they have been working on that for the past year, one might come the conclusion this should be near ready? Not only am I ecstatic about this product for post but I want to slap one in my RED. Getting a full quality deabyer and scale to 2k out of the camera via dual link HD-SDI would be phenomenal.

Any idea of a shipping date yet Jim? I promise I wont hold you to it... unless you miss it, in which case I'll become raging mad :)
 
Any idea of a shipping date yet Jim? I promise I wont hold you to it... unless you miss it, in which case I'll become raging mad :)

I'm also extremely interested in any idea of a shipping date. My finger is itching to pull the trigger on that prime set, but not if the RED Rocket is shipping within the next month or two.
 
Red Rocket hits the target!

Red Rocket hits the target!

VERY NICE! Nice price too. :thumbsup:

RED Rocket.

PCI-Express, Output interfaces will include Quad-DVI and Quad-HD-SDI. Works with Mac, PC and Linux.

Under $5k.

What speed of PCI-Express slot does it need? Any change a PCI expresscard34 is possible down the road?!?... they are limited to single lane PCI-Express speeds so I'm thinking probably not. :) ...I'm still hoping though, or that if single lane is supported something like this can work.

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/expresscard-34-to-pci-expansion-box-p29858.html

--
Chris.
 
Jim et al

Oh and while I'm drooling over my wish list, I would love someone to produce an ENG style servo zoom PL mount lens for Red. We do so much TV work where we're constantly up against tight deadlines and this would allow us to use our Red for much more than just our very high end shoots.

Come on Jim, if anyone can do this it's you :sifone:

Great idea - the new Fujinon is a disappointment - no servo - and 27 mm image circle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top