Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED Projector...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why you're surprised Jim. It's your idea and we expect nothing less from you and your team.

You should start modeling redheads to tell your tales... Seriously. Anything less would be an insult seeing as how you chose RED as your name... (we represent 2% of world pop). I'm a little angry today over the news...
 
Theater and home. Sooner rather than later.

Jim


Woohoo!!! LOVE this company!
So happy and excited about everything that's going on here.
The Scarlet news, the theatrical version of the projector (potential of game-changing market penetration when combined with RedRay), the idea of it being a laser projector...
You're making meaningful changes in our industry. Changes that help us filmmakers bring our vision to viewers in a better way.
From workflow to final image quality, and even the ability to make a much greater variety of choices in shooting and lighting our films.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Yuval Shrem
Fable Entertainment
__________________
www.yuvalshrem.com
 
Corey,
Think about it this way:
There are 15" laptops with 1080p. They are extremely sharp, and you view them from as close as 20cm without losing the uniformity of the picture.
Now stretch that resolution to a 26" LCD, then stretch it to a 32" LCD TV, then further to a 47" TV and even to 55" TV.
To get the same experience you perceived on that 15" laptop, you'd have to go further back, roughly 3.5-4m between your eyes and the center of the screen.

Of course you'd want to move further away to equal the experience as you increase the size. Who would want to sit 20cm from a 100" screen? It would exceed your field of view. Lol. :P I'd be trying to avoid it that experience. lol. A 15" laptop has some sharpness going for it, because if you make any screen super small it will look sharp, but you will most likely perceive sharpness over actual detail if you are more than 2x the width of the screen away. Stay about 1.5-2x the width of the screen away and you get about equal sharpness for both sizes. I sit about 15 feet (from my eyes to screen) from my 110" (8ft wide) screen.

At this distance the sharpness is very comparable to my monitor in sharpness. Besides, my RS15 plenty of better advantages. Much better blacks, contrast, etc. The overall image quality of a JVC RS15 is a landslide win over any Laptop monitor. If a person doesn't have the distance though and they personally feel 1080p is not enough then wait for 4k.

This distance is what most folks have in their apartments, including myself.
I can't go any further back because there's a wall behind my couch, and I have no intention of breaking this wall just so I can buy a larger TV or projector screen.

My point is: Since most folks cannot go further back with their couch in the living room, yet they have a need for a larger screen - their only option is to have a higher-resolution screen.
You actually want to stay close enough to the screen, and be immersed in the film. 1080p simply isn't enough for anything larger than 55".
Ok then, so the correct way to phrase that last part then should probable read more like "1080p isn't enough to me for anything larger than 55 inches without X amount of distance to sit", because you admit you lack the distance but then say 1080p isn't good enough for anything larger than 55" like it's a magical number where 1080p ceases to be good no matter the distance. lol. Commercial grade cinemas had no problem displaying near 1080p 2K resolution on 20-40ft wide screens in digital cinemas. A 32' wide screen is about 16x bigger than a 55" screen. If a screen that size can be commercial quality with near 1080p, surely 1080p is good enough for a screen much bigger than just 1/16th the size. lol. It all comes back to distance though, which you said you lack and of course it will vary from person to person depending on their eye sight, etc. If you sit over 2x the screen width you risk seeing perceiving sharpness over actual detail.

How big is your screen and about how far are your eyes from it currently?

Having said that I'm still curious about their new projector. I'm guessing the home version won't be 4K though? Probably 1080p or am I wrong?
 
Cibachrome / Ilfochrome is the same thing - I used to use it to go straight from my 35mm slide film to a top notch print. I read it as meaning the image was vibrant and solid and crisp, all things tough to achieve with projection.
 
Sounds great !
Any news on an affordable Red Color Correction Monitor ? This is something I would love to see.
My wish would be a 30" 2- 4K Monitor with 4:4:4 color space, thunderbolt and 3G SDI, HDMI connections,
with an XLR power option for field work.
I think this would be a huge seller in the Digital and Print Media.
For me whoever gets a quality and affordable Monitor with similar spec to market first is going to make a lot of money.
My 2 Cents
 
This is SO exciting! I'm really looking forward to the RED projector. My current setup is a 1080p plasma, so there really no reason to upgrade to a 1080p projector. A 4K projector on the other hand, now we're talking! Keep up the good work RED team!
 
I've never been so anxious to give a company my money :)
 
What I love about the no more heads up to the competitors is that with your posted Roadmap and all these announcements we can only assume that these items are super tangible and ready to move forward very quickly.

I'm ready.
 
Can we have it autofocus and autosize to the correct screen size. theaters do a piss poor job of both. badly focused projectors , turned down lamps. images zoomed up playing on top of curtains. they've turned it into a less than stellar experience. not having to replace lamps would be very nice too
 
There always seems to be a need to give generations names like the Baby Boomers, Generation X, then Y, and Z... This should be the beginning of the 4k Generation.
 
Wow, the future is finally here! If done right, which of course it will be, laser is the perfect lightsource for projection. Not only for display quality and focus, but also the hardware should be much smaller, cooler, lighter, energy efficient.

And you know, lasers. Anything with lasers. #winning
 
:party:

Fantastic!!!!

Can I ask,

whats Cibachrome?

Cibachrome prints are beautiful. Hard to describe... the words "vibrant, saturated, clean, crisp" are the tip of the iceberg.
Describing the projector's image as "moving cibachrome" is one hell of a complement.
There's a 3D depth to good CC prints that reminds me of 19th century daguerreotypes, except with colour... and what colour!
I used to do a bit of CC work 12 years ago. Loved it. Tricky because you're working with reversal (slides). You have to nail exposure.

I'm super pumped by this announcement. I think we all know this has been coming for years now...
...the delays with Redray the biggest give away as they are both on the delivery end.

Jim, if you are close to releasing domestic units, I will die a little bit,
having recently bought a Panasonic ae2000u. Its fantastic (at its price point).
I just didn't know the cottage needed a projector this soon!

(pure conjecture here...)
Is a cibachrome look the best for a "grading projector" unless you know you are going to
only screen your project on a Redprojector? (which is Jim's intent for sure and makes perfect sense).
I would think that many high-gain screens may also be suspect with this sort of laser light-source.

Cant wait to see "the numbers". Even more, the image!

Red is on fire.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top