Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red One MX....Is it still worth buying ?

Richard Suckling

New member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello all,

I am an aspiring cinematographer based in the UK. Before starting uni i discovered DSLR’s and have shot on them ever since. I also dabbled with the Canon C100/ C300 for uni projects during my three year course. Now 4 years on I’m looking to upgrade to a dedicated cine grade camera as I’m starting to work with clients and i have a few of my own projects lined up!

I haven’t got a huge budget, ££3,500 to be precise, but weirdly enough thats partly why the red one mx has caught my eye. There seems to be a lot of packages up for grabs at great prices and ever seen seeing a film called ‘ Life Cycles’ (Extreme mountain bike film) i have wanted a red ever since. I know there are other cameras out there that are lighter, easier to work with, have solid specs and cost around the same price as a second hand red one mx, but if you had the opportunity to own a red, i think a lot of people would jump on it ?!? .Only thing I’m concerned about is the workflow and the fact that i work on a macbook pro with uprated SSD HD’s. So i guess the questions i’d like answers for are ......


1. Is it still worth shelling out for ?

2. Does it hold up against the cameras of today... is it to old now ?

3. Anyone know what its like to shoot with/ what is the workflow like ?

4. Can you use older glass on it and still get good results ?

5. Would my laptop hold up with the red raw workflow....?
(Iv’e seen a video by youtuber, Mattias Johan Burling, who bought a red one and edits footage with no problems on a laptop)


Any thoughts or info regarding these questions would be really appreciated and will help me better understand what the Red One Mx has to offer !

Thanks guys,

Rich
 
I recently made a post asking some similar questions. Ultimately I decided against purchasing the RED One MX, mainly due to the weight and size. Some will say that it isn't that heavy when not fully rigged... I would disagree, especially if you're used to shooting on DSLRs or smaller camera bodies. The R1MX still produces fantastic images - it can definitely compete with newer camera's today like the Ursa Mini 4.6k. However, I would strongly suggest renting the R1MX first if possible to see if it will work for you.

Also, I've come across some crazy deals on Scarlet-MX and Scarlet Dragons lately. If you're not going the DSMC2 route I would definitely consider extending the budget for a Scarlet... Even if you have to wait and save up a little more (your back and shoulders will thank you). If you do decide on the R1MX, RED only makes a PL and Nikon mount. You would probably have to scavenge for a 3rd party adapter if you wanted to shoot on Canon glass.

Hope this helps!
 
I got a great deal on a R1 two years ago and I'm really happy with the camera, don't mind the weight. I do have to say though that, today while you can get a nice R1 package for about $4000, I would just get a Scarlet MX for $6000 or so, because support for the R1 is cost much much more (Tripod that supports it's weight, virtually non existant gimbal unless you rig something together, slider, jib, all etc. unless you're gonna rent all of that stuff).
 
​i answered this question on one of the post, it all comes down to what your projects mostly consiste of,.. 80% of my work is music video then weddings etc.. so i started with dslr (5d mark 2, canon 60D, t3i, 7D) then decided to go a bit more filmic ,... so i got the Blackmagic 2.5K MFT which i loved, the color was nice but you had to work on the footage to get it to look right all the time. i didn't like the idea for sitting thru color grading every time i shoot. then a deal for the Red One MX came along. i felt like i got my 5D back and blackmagic all in one,.. cause i can get that straight-out-of-the-camera nice look,.. or i can shoot log and grade my footage.

1. Is it still worth shelling out for ?

- yes! but only if you find a good package deal, nothing over $5000

2. Does it hold up against the cameras of today... is it to old now ?

yes it does! to put it into perspective go check canon c300 mark 2 specs,.. and thats a $15000 camera ( although the canon might be better in low light)
- is it too old now ?
- yes it's old,.. but it was used last year (2015) as one of the camera on Avengers movie, it was used the year before (2014) on peter jackson the Hobbit next to the Epic so you tell me.

3. Anyone know what its like to shoot with/ what is the workflow like ?

- Anyone know what its like to shoot with? you're going to hate shooting on it, specially coming from dslr,.. it's heavy,.. unless most of your shootings are on tripod and dollies,.. but then when you see your footage you go aaaahhh,... all worth it!.

- what is the workflow like ? like butter,.. i have a 2012 retina macbook i edit like butter,.. on premiere, fcpx and resolve (raw dng file from my bmcc was chocking in resolve,.. those R3D file has voodoo on it)

4. Can you use older glass on it and still get good results ?
- yes, i'm using an old $60 nikon 24mm ai lens on it, still flawless
5. Would my laptop hold up with the red raw workflow....?
- it depends on the spec of your laptop, i have a basic retina macbook with 8gb of ram,.. again,.. i edit like butter,.


i seriously thought about moving to scarlet mx for the weight issue,..because with most of my work (music videos,wedding, sports ) the camera need to be moving,.. but i feel like it's a downgrade, i won't have my 60fps at 3K (which i love!) or 120fps at 2K. so i'm using my Red one MX to make money and save for the new guys (scarlet-w or maybe Raven) which i'm going to keep for a long time because everybody else and everything is just now catching up to 4K.
 
The One is still an amazing camera, and I definitely will miss ours. It makes breathtaking pictures. Simple as that.

Stephen
 
It ultimately comes down to money I feel. Red ones are selling for that £2300-£2500 for bodies, £3400 for packages from what ive been seeing on eBay and the market place as of late. for quality of footage, well worth the prices in my opinion. Couldnt agree more with Newman, Kev.
 
That a awesome guys thank you for your useful insights into the Mx... especially Newman Kev thats a top post thank you very much ! Im looking around at the moment trying to find a good package that i can go and shoot on straight out of the box.

My budget only stretches to £3,500 at the moment but based on prices ive seen i think its doable. its a shame a lot of people sell their packages without red bricks or batteries. Bit of a pain to go looking for them online.

Anyhow thanks again i will continue my search !

Rich
 
I just completed my package but people heard I have an R1 and started booking me for shoots. I refuse to turn down all of this cash =) Wow, now my Epic-MX is the side kick???
 
I've also heard whispers amongst other cinematographers that the R1MX produces images that are more reminiscent of 35mm film than the new cameras, and that overall with enough light have better image quality than the epic-x. Anyone heard similar or can confirm or refute this with some experience? I'm selling my R1MX to help pay for a new Raven. Curious to hear if other's have heard the same about the Red One...
 
Some people have mentioned they like the R1 MX but I think it all comes down to personal taste. The R1MX has its issues but still can look great. I still use it and still make money from it. But RED is now multiple generations beyond R1. So, unless you can emphatically say that you prefer the look from R1 over newer gen cams, I think the wiser investment now is the newer cams. Especially after Jarred stated he believes they will keep the DSMC2 body design for a few years. Just makes sense to get into a Scarlet W or Raven as entry into the Red world. But I will never say a bad word about a camera that 8 years later is still relevant, still income generating, and opened a lot of doors for me. Some limiting factors just for reference:

- 720P live output only. this is a big deal if you need a pure 1080P output to a proxy recorder or monitor. However, a workaround is to just up convert the 720 to 1080 if you are using a proxy recorder that has that capability. But for monitoring purposes you are stuck at 720 until playback which is 1080
- The lens mounts on new cameras are much more versatile and simpler to install
- Mixed lighting can sometimes have adverse effects
- Some people prefer color in the newer cameras
- Less dynamic range than newer cameras
- Heavy (for some people and the style they shoot)
- EOL. No longer updates for firmware

Despite that list, plenty of good reasons to still shoot on one if you have it already or come across a deal just too good to pass up.
 
The R1 and The Epic have the MX sensor so I wouldn't say that one out shines the other because i'm going to marry the two. These are my two dream cameras for all that I need to do and Epic was the first to break into real slow motion etc. A rich mans garbage is a poor mans paradise. I don't have plans to ever sale but that's what i said about my super 16mm film camera until RED broke the door down and gave be us something greater. Find your craft because a camera is like a pencil and a paint brush,it's a tool to create your own works of art.
 
There are many good reasons for the R1 compared to the Scarlet/Epic, but it depends on the preferred shooting style. I consider it as a studio camera, dolly, jib, tripod mounted, with the advantage to have no visual delay in the viewfinder/ LCD monitor and be able to shoot extremely long scenes on a 640GB hard drive. I recently had to shoot President Clinton for an Interview, (You get one chance), and although I own an Epic, it was the right tool to use. Much of my work is Hand held and I love the Canon/Epic options but the R1 is not outdated in any way, especially using classic zooms which would never cover 5K+ Sensors, plus all connectors are build in, no need for bizarre modules.
 
I actually liked the image out of my R1 better than my Scarlet. That being said I would never another R1. I ran both cameras together before I ultimately sold off the R1. It was a picky camera and had a lot of quorks. (Mine had 2400 hours on it so that may have had something to do with it). The Scarlet is just the right form factor. Especially if you are coming from the DLSR world. Someone correct me if I am wrong but is red even fixing R1s anymore? Seems like a real risk to get involved with one if they aren't.
 
Yes, they will still fix the R1 may cost you but Hollywood still has them so I would think so.
 
The images are still absolutely gorgeous. That camera is based on first gen architecture. If there are component failures, it's really expensive to repair. RED's service costs on old equipment generally are equal to the overall value of the camera. A blind purchase not knowing the history of the camera could be dicey.
 
Yes, this is where obsolescence hits home, like buying securities or french bread or digital cinema. The fact that Red can't fix their products (their lenses, remotes, early EVFs etc) makes buying their products a gamble. I will not buy another thing from them unless to replace yet another broken accessory. But getting back to the R1, it is a great camera with the original 7 inch non touch monitor, and if You want really sharp Images, transfer them to Cineform Raw and set the debayer to 'Advanced detail 3'. However I wouldn't try to make money with the camera or any single RED really, better to rent a slew of them to be safe. Also it needs to be a really good deal, since you may as well chuck it if it breaks because the new competition like the mini Ursa 4k or 4.6k may just render it obsolete.
 
Hi Rolf,

I've never heard of that workflow...'transfer to cineform raw, debayer to advanced detail 3'. I've been snooping around RCX and can't seem to find those options, didn't know cineform was available. Perhaps a PC thing...?

Could you explain that workflow or link up to a resource explaining it? Also curious if this is just available for R1 footage or for them all.

Thanks

Yes, this is where obsolescence hits home, like buying securities or french bread or digital cinema. The fact that Red can't fix their products (their lenses, remotes, early EVFs etc) makes buying their products a gamble. I will not buy another thing from them unless to replace yet another broken accessory. But getting back to the R1, it is a great camera with the original 7 inch non touch monitor, and if You want really sharp Images, transfer them to Cineform Raw and set the debayer to 'Advanced detail 3'. However I wouldn't try to make money with the camera or any single RED really, better to rent a slew of them to be safe. Also it needs to be a really good deal, since you may as well chuck it if it breaks because the new competition like the mini Ursa 4k or 4.6k may just render it obsolete.
 
Hi Kris

Yes its a compressor mainly used in windows environment. It is a standard codec in Premiere etc. You can find info online, unfortunately it has been sold to Gopro so the previous pro versions aren't sold anymore, but the codec and its decompression features are still available
 
Back
Top