Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red Drive and Red Station CF Reader

Kevin Roy

Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi All, Does anyone know if the AC adapter for the Red Station CF Reader will power the Red Drive as well? I don't have the equipment in front of me to check the specs. Thanks!

Kevin
 
you can also power red drives from FW800 if that is any help to you

You can, but you run the risk of burning the firewire port out on the drive. Especially if you daisy chain a second drive onto it to copy to. It's best to use an AC adapter.
 
Thanks all. I just purchased a used 640GB RedDrive for a shoot. It works when attached to the camera and when plugged into the computer with the AC the disk mounts, no problem. I did try to power it with FW800 and I only get at tick/clicking sound. Burned out port? Otherwise it functions normally transferring data through FW800.

Also, the AC power adapter is pretty common. I'm using one that I have for an OWC drive. Specs match.
 
Thanks all. I just purchased a used 640GB RedDrive for a shoot. It works when attached to the camera and when plugged into the computer with the AC the disk mounts, no problem. I did try to power it with FW800 and I only get at tick/clicking sound. Burned out port? Otherwise it functions normally transferring data through FW800.

Also, the AC power adapter is pretty common. I'm using one that I have for an OWC drive. Specs match.

If it's mounting with the AC adapter, the port's not burned out. I suspect that the clicking sound is the sound of the drives trying to operate, but not getting enough power. Remember that the Red drives contain teo fairly fast spinning drives plus a raid controller. That's a lot to power via Firewire 800 bus power. If you search ancient threads here, you'll find that Red actually recommended using FW cables that did not pass power so that there was no chance of inadvertently trying to bus-power the drive. but i don't think anybody ever had trouble as long as AC power was connected.
 
Back
Top