Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red #378 Test Footage - Shibuya, Tokyo

No worries Learvis, look forward to it!

We'll be posting some R3Ds soon so you can all have a play and grade them to your hearts' content. I'm having a small issue with my main computer's video card crashing on me right now in RedCine, so outputting MOVs etc will be a bit delayed. Not sure if it's my video card or RedCine that's the root cause but anyway, R3Ds will be even more beneficial I think since you can see it without my own interpretation on it.

Cheers for all the comments, we hope to bring you a lot more soon (we have some good testing days next week in studio conditions).

Paul
 
Paul,

Very nice shots of nighttime Japan.

What ASA/ISO did you rate the camera at for the nighttime shots? How many stops did you "push" the footage in REDCine? (In other words, how much was the image underexposed when you loaded it into REDCine?)

Michael
 
Paul,

Thanks.

E. :-)
 
Paul,

Very nice shots of nighttime Japan.

What ASA/ISO did you rate the camera at for the nighttime shots? How many stops did you "push" the footage in REDCine? (In other words, how much was the image underexposed when you loaded it into REDCine?)

Michael
All shots were either 320 or 640 ASA in camera. In RedCine I actually set them all to 320 or even less (such as 250, 200) and then used curves to bring them up. This gives you minimal noise and a nice flat image with which to colour correct in an external app (this time round I used Photoshop as I exported stills). It's all in protecting the highlights as much as possible (or destroying them creatively on purpose if that's your look) while holding the noise down.

HTH

Paul
 
OK folks, I sorted my video card problem so here's the first moving images posted online from Red #378.

This was shot handheld using the Red 18-50 lens, wide open. There are tons of lights flashing and flickering in that area and you can see this manifesting in the shot. This is NOT a deficiency of the camera. I'm not sure there's any possible way you could sync all those lights at once!! If you can, please let me know :) Shot at 23.976fps using an in camera ASA of 640 but processed in RedCine at ASA 250 using curves.

I graded it in RedCine so it's really only a one light grade; not as good as the still I graded earlier.

I'm also having issues getting the RedCine internal image to match the final output in terms of gamma and contrast. I assume there's some colour space mismatch but I'm not sure how to fix it. My monitor is calibrated to sRGB using the ColorVision Spyder2 so that side is accurate. Any tips for having accurate colour within RedCine?

Anyway, here's the 1080p Quicktime clip for you all to drool over :)

Shibuya Crossing (1080p)

Once I sort out my RedRelay account I'll upload the R3D file for you all to grade yourselves.

Enjoy!

Paul
 
Ok folks, time to start colour grading :)

Here is the R3D file of the following shot, courtesy of RedRelay.net:

A002_C012_080217_0031cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg
A002_C012_080217_0031cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg


R3D - 888MB

Ungraded TIFF - 48MB

Feel free to post your results here, either as JPGs, PNGs or if you want, your .rcc profile you used in RedCine.

Please keep the width to 1024 pixels so as not to destroy the forum's layout too much :)

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. Note there is flashing from the huge TV display on the Starbucks fronted building. This is NOT a Red issue but rather a sync issue with having so many TV displays all doing their own thing in such a small space!!
 
I should post the AVCHD clip of Takashi shooting this shot with RED :).
 
Hey Kaku, welcome to RedUser!

I'd love to see your AVCHD clip if you want to post it, since I was minding the van while you guys were shooting.... :)

I'll throw up the bamboo/NTT shot next.

Cheers,

Paul
 
Shot 2, again courtesy of RedRelay.net:

A011_C006_080217_0000cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg
A011_C006_080217_0000cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg


R3D - 803MB

Ungraded TIFF - 48MB

The detail and latitude of this shot is amazing, especially given the high amount of information in the bamboo trees!

Cheers,

Paul
 
A little something for a fascinating city...
 
It's a pleasure, Paul. Glad you like it.
 
Shot 2, again courtesy of RedRelay.net:

A011_C006_080217_0000cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg
A011_C006_080217_0000cc_visceralpsyche_logo_sm.jpg


R3D - 803MB

Ungraded TIFF - 48MB

The detail and latitude of this shot is amazing, especially given the high amount of information in the bamboo trees!

Cheers,

Paul

Never seen anything like that on the bamboo. I shot there with many cams including Digital SRL camera.
 
Footage was nice.

Actually people should not post pics wider than about 800pix or 900x, otherwise it stretches the forum for people on laptops, etc.
 
Back
Top