Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

R3D & ProRes problem on Weapon

Martin Ubilluz

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Website
www.mu2pro.com
I'm not sure if this has been posted about if it has just direct me to the right place. I decided to try the ProRes feature in the camera, never have before and don't really have a reason to but I wanted to see what it was all about incase a client wanted it. As you can see from the images Ive posted the PRORES version has more information TOP and Bottom of the frame then the R3D version.... which is strange i would think the R3d should have more information. The the R3d is Cropped top and bottom, there is more image on the PRORES. Is it something I did wrong in camera? how can i get these extra pixels in the R3d as I would never want to use the PRORES but I do like that smidget of extra pixels.

There was no resizing of the images what so ever I layered the R3d ontop of the ProRes in a time line the size of the ProRes resolution 1920x788. As you can see the R3d is cropped . I also Checked each clip by its self the R3d in REDcine and the ProRes in Quicktime player to confirm the issue . Its minor and totally not a big problem but would like to know whats going on or how to fix it.
I Posted comparison images and each image individual to download and compare your self.

My shooting specs
Carbon fiber weapon
firmware 6.2.51
6k 6:5 ANA 2
r3d of 3792x3160
recode 8:1
60fps
+
Quicktime ProRes 422 HQ
Quicktime Resolution 1920x788
RED mini mag 512GB

r8b1Je5.jpg

l1PSRp3.jpg

GEcz6Uc.jpg

67cT3fL.jpg

Xnx2oWF.jpg

myJA33K.jpg
 
Both haven't the same aspect ratio 2.40 vs 2.4365.
Pat

Correct . thats my question shouldn't they match? and could i have the choice to leave those extra pixels on the R3d? also does this happen to other formats other then 6:5
 
Hi, did you have look around enabled? I have experienced the same situation where Pro Res Records the full gate (look around) and R3d is limited to the gate settings. I agree in that ProRes and the R3D gate should always match, or the R3D should record full gate for the final conform or online.
 
Once Look around is disabled, both recording formats will match.

Thanks !!
I'll have to go check to see if look around was enabled . I don't remember putting it on but I'm sure your right . Too bad though, I wish you could record the full gate on the R3D sucks the prores gets the benefit . It's always nice to have the least amount of crop on anamorphic no matter how little . I'll investigate further with LOOK AROUND.
 
The differences between framing on the two formats will be more dramatic on a spherical Gate. For example, if you set your frame guides to 4k 16:9, which the R3D will match, but your pro res will record the full 16:9 6k Gate if Look around is enabled. I have performed many tests and the look around setting is the culprit. This functionality makes no sense to me in having an application on a working job. For dailies, you would want pro res to record to your frame guides, but have R3d record full gate for the final conform giving you the option to stabilize or reframe a shot. Or, both formats should simply always match with or without look around.
 
Yes I didn't think about spherical that's is a huge difference ! Maybe they can change it in a firmware ? I doubt it though .. there must be something in the prores recoding that it only lets it record the look around like a separate video stream that's not associated with the r3d. They must have thought about this right ? And couldn't do anything about it ?
 
The differences between framing on the two formats will be more dramatic on a spherical Gate. For example, if you set your frame guides to 4k 16:9, which the R3D will match, but your pro res will record the full 16:9 6k Gate if Look around is enabled. I have performed many tests and the look around setting is the culprit. This functionality makes no sense to me in having an application on a working job. For dailies, you would want pro res to record to your frame guides, but have R3d record full gate for the final conform giving you the option to stabilize or reframe a shot. Or, both formats should simply always match with or without look around.

Thanks for the info. Very good point.
 
Back
Top