Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

R1 to M-X upgrade announcement?

How about people who buy Reds after the upgrade is available? Will it be possible to order a Red with the X-sensor already installed? Will there be some discount this way, as the first sensor will not ever be installed?
 
Obviously, a timeline is a pretty important part of this equation. When does the upgrade program begin? When is Epic-X shipping? When is Scarlet S35 shipping? These are the relevant variables as far as I can tell.

But, oh, man, I am excited by M-X!

Stephen

Agreed on all fronts. This thread has a few idea's about what might be happening.
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39351

Might EPIC be delayed longer because of the AISC issue? As mentioned here:
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38032

Forgive me. I am a bit of a fan of conspiracy theories, but if EPIC/SCARLETT was ready:

-why would RED offer M-X so soon in R1?
-When the upgrade announcements were made the R1 M-X upgrade seemed like an afterthought, now front burner. Why?

I actually do not care if EPIC is delayed, but the reason I think it is a longer delay is because they are offereing the M-X upgrade BEFORE the EPIC.

Why would this be offered if the EPIC program was ready?

Just silly questions, I know, but I have to admit I am curious.


David
 
Are you folks in the same pickle as I?

I mean.... I really want the iso 800 native... and the creamy DR.... but I also want a lighter camera ( steadicam pilot! ) and faster boot time.

So... if I pay 4500 to upgrade to X I get it all but the lightness and the boot time ( and frame rates which I don't really need... but want )

or pay 8500 plus trade in for epic x.....

or pay 4500 upgrade to X plus pay 5000 for a scarlet for lightness....

so tough... just can't get my head around it.....

it's like that joke... which would you rather have sex with... 2 5's that will do anything.... or a 9 that just lays there?
 
Well, David, if you're into conspiracy theories, I suspect that the reason that the M-X (which was an ill-fated ICBM, by the way!) is being offered first is that it will make RED even more money. $4500 now to upgrade and then buy our Epic-Xs later. It's a great plan for RED and possibly a great plan for me, too. But the timing is everything, and as far as I can tell, our timeline is not yet clear.

Stephen
 
it's like that joke... which would you rather have sex with... 2 5's that will do anything.... or a 9 that just lays there?

Good joke - but isn't Epic supposed to be the 9 that does anything?
 
How about people who buy Reds after the upgrade is available? Will it be possible to order a Red with the X-sensor already installed? Will there be some discount this way, as the first sensor will not ever be installed?

I am sure new RED ones will ship with an MX sensor soon, cant think anybody would by a new one with an M sensor now. Probably the same price or maybe lower when Scarlet ships.
 
Or "be a Tiger" as Accenture used to tell us and have a 10 and a 7 and a 9 and a 7 and an 8 and a 6 and a 5 and a 9 and a 7, etc.

:-)

Stephen
 
Well, David, if you're into conspiracy theories, I suspect that the reason that the M-X (which was an ill-fated ICBM, by the way!) is being offered first is that it will make RED even more money. $4500 now to upgrade and then buy our Epic-Xs later. It's a great plan for RED and possibly a great plan for me, too. But the timing is everything, and as far as I can tell, our timeline is not yet clear.

Stephen

It's not a conspiracy at all. The DSMC cameras are just simply not ready yet. Not even Jim has one. Meanwhile, the MX sensor is essentially ready now, so why not offer this Red One upgrade to keep people happy in the meantime. The boost in ISO and presumably DR sound great to me. The whispers I've heard from people who've used the MX sensor in Red One bodies has been very, very positive. :thumbsup:
 
It's not a conspiracy at all. The DSMC cameras are just simply not ready yet. Not even Jim has one. Meanwhile, the MX sensor is essentially ready now, so why not offer this Red One upgrade to keep people happy in the meantime.

** BINGO **

Stephen Pruitt

1. Again Jarred said they "hoped" to begin the upgrade program at thje end of January.

2. This program makes total sense for Stage 2 folks. (i.e those of us keeping our R1 for the M-X upgrade)
A. NOTE: Unless Im missing something, the ONLY difference is that we get to upgrade the R1 BEFORE EPiC-X ships rather than after.
B. Afterall, the cost ($4500) was established on Oct 30, announcement.

3. Its an excellent way to get some logistics out of the way for RED (i.e Tattoo and Stage 2 folks)

not to mention all the benefits mentioned above of having the new sensor.

4. Stephen P. Epic-X last update was an ASIC metal spin pushing release circan NAB or June... its in the RECON section.

5. There has not been ANY announcement on S35 (and I imagine thats because its dependent on ASIC) RED is already struggling to predict EPIC ship date, makes no sense for them to confuse people more with Estimates on S35, Fixed etc... as its all about the ASIC spin.

so for me, M-X Upgrade is a NO- BRAINER -
 
it's like that joke... which would you rather have sex with... 2 5's that will do anything.... or a 9 that just lays there?

How about 3 5's that will do anything, a naked 9 recording everything on a 8x Scarlet, a naked 7 downloading the cards, and a naked 8 checking the dailies...

Just thinking out loud.
 
Yeah,

It would be nice to get the M-X upgrade now, then exercise stage 2 later on. You could always set them both to 4.5K mode and do two camera shoots.

But what if plan was to trade in the R1 for EPIC, you give back the upgraded R1 wiht M-X senor...and?

David
 
BTW, is the MX pixel size the same as Mysterium? Will the upgraded R1s also be 4.5K?

Any changes in FPS at all?
 
I'm sure red is capable of the upgrading with military precision. The audio board program was really good.

I guess if you upgrade your R1 to MX you can not trade it for Epic?
 
I am very much looking forward to this, but that ol' timeline will be intriguing.

Surely we will be able to trade in our upgraded M-X Ones for an Epic.

Stephen
 
I'm certain that Jim said elsewhere that upgraded R1s will not affect the trade in deal. But you will still have to pay the same amount ($10500) for the trade in as you would with a stock R1.

but I guess what matters is how long we are talking about. If it's a year before epic then that would be a good deal, if it's a mnth then maybe just wait for epic and shoot on existing sensor.

1. Would buying the upgrade extend your warranty, since you are getting back essentially a new or refurbed camera?

2. Could you use the upgrade for a up to a year before trading in and getting the epic? I'm assuming Red would put your mx sensor into your epic if you did the trade in and paid the extra 10.5k ?

Thoughts.
 
Back
Top