Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Quick question about high fps anamorphic shooting

William Wilkinson

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Victoria, Canada
I'm a Scarlet MX owner but I am renting a Dragon for a project next month and I had a question about ANA modes. We want to shoot at a high frame rate in anamorphic.

I understand that the Dragon max fps for 5K is 96fps, or 5K 2.39 at 120fps. My question is: if I'm shooting in the de-squeezed 2x ANA mode and use 5K 2.39 will I retain my entire anamorphic image, or will it be cropping in on that anamorphic image? As in losing height and width? It would make sense if width was cropped a bit as 2x 16:9 sensor is wider than 2.39.

I want to go as high a FPS without having to much sensor crop! Just unclear how the ANA mode works exactly.

Thanks!
 
The Media Guide will at least provide you with resolution and frame rate information. Which version of Dragon? Epic or Weapon? If Epic, 1.8 or mini-mag? e.g. the 1.8" 48 GB Redmag on Epic Dragon starts on page 68. 1.8 vs. mini-mag will have some impact on max frame rate vs. resolution.
 
I'm a Scarlet MX owner but I am renting a Dragon for a project next month and I had a question about ANA modes. We want to shoot at a high frame rate in anamorphic.

I understand that the Dragon max fps for 5K is 96fps, or 5K 2.39 at 120fps. My question is: if I'm shooting in the de-squeezed 2x ANA mode and use 5K 2.39 will I retain my entire anamorphic image, or will it be cropping in on that anamorphic image? As in losing height and width? It would make sense if width was cropped a bit as 2x 16:9 sensor is wider than 2.39.

I want to go as high a FPS without having to much sensor crop! Just unclear how the ANA mode works exactly.

Thanks!

The 5K WS mode (2.37 : 1) goes up to 120 fps compared to the 96 fps max of 5K FF or 5K 6:5 (ANA) because 5K WS involves using spherical lenses and cropping the height to create a 2.37 : 1 image, so because you are using less of the sensor and recording a smaller total pixel size, you can go to a higher frame rate at 5K.

If you are using anamorphic lenses, then you would be using the 6:5 (ANA) mode. You'd have to go down to 4K 6:5 (ANA) in order to shoot at 120 fps. Or switch to a spherical lens and shoot 5K WS.
 
Hi William,

Yes it's confusing sometimes shooting anamorphic on non 4:3 sensors re: crop. You basically have to shoot at maximum sensor height in order to get the widest shots, which on red, limits your frame rates. For close ups, it's easy to shoot high fps, not so easy for wides though really it depends on what lenses you're using e.g. a 24mm cineovision anamorphic would really help with this compared to a 35mm Lomo for example.

6:5 ANA on epic dragon looks really good though so I kinda stick to that & then shoot at 75fps or whatever the max is in 6:5 mode but can't remember right now even though I was doing exactly this just yesterday ; )

By the by, if shooting Scarlet MX Anamorphic (which has no natural ANA mode) you can achieve wider shots by recording the HDSDI signal in Lookaround mode & desqueeze through a monitor like Odyssey or SmallHD and get the correct squeeze & aspect ratio in post. Yes you lose RAW & 4K but you can still capture 1080 60p which looks great at 800ISO in ProResHQ.

Craig Lees
ED & SX UK
Fd SSC & Lomo Anamorphic Lens Sets
 
Back
Top