Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Pull List

We've been experiencing quite a lot with the Avid workflow for R3D files and we just converted an entire project in RedCine using the DNxHD output for a 25fps project and burning the TC and reel along with 2:35 guides.

We imported it in Media Composer on PC without problem (although it does not do fast import) and it all works fine as far as the resulting TC in 25fps in the Avid. I don't understand why everybody is saying that you're stucked with 24fps when using DNxHD output.

Arno
www.locared.com
 
There is only one option in RedCine for DNxHD and it does not say what datarate it is. It does not force you to get your TC in 24 fps; I was able to get the resulting file with an accurate matching TC to our 25fps original footage.

Then when you import in in the Avid you can chose any rate you want in the DNX family. I tried imports at 36, 115, 120 and 180. They all looked good enough to do the offline. This project is meant to go back to our facility for conforming and grading in Scratch hence the burnt TC and reel number. The assistant will have to manually edit an EDL for automated conforming in Scratch but really I don't see much difference with a project going thru a telecine.

Arno
www.locared.com
 
We didn't day it was stuck on 24fps, we said it was only offering the 115 family data rate which is about 120 for 25fps (24 + 4.1%). What tyou don't get is the choice for:

DNxHD 36
DNxHD 175
DNxHD 175x
1:1 uncompressed
1:1x uncompressed

Michael
 
Good. Now a feature request would be to "restore" filename from that metadata! ;)

Feature requests never end... ;)

Michael

It's at Hex Offset 0x43 to 0x00s I believe.

In language of choice:

file = openfile \\r3dcodefile.r3d "rb"
tempstring = read file 0 1000
filename = substring file 67 (searchstring "00" 67 1000)
rename file (filename + ".r3d")

I'm not actually looking at an r3d file and have something that just rendering I ahve to get back to but that should get you 90% of the way there I believe.

Rob can warn you off if it's not that simple. ;)
 
Michael,Is there a 1.1X option also? If I remember a x denotes 10bit yes?

There should be a 1:1 MXF and yes, x denotes 10 bit.

Michael
 
Thanks Mike,
What metas are carried over?
 
It does work well for us but still we get the stuck frame issue after about 6000 frames of export. So we have to babysit the exports and visually check the last shot of each batch to make sure it's correct.
Can't wait for a new release of RedCine that fixes this issue.
Arno
www.locared.com
 
Thanks Mike,
What metas are carried over?

Currently filename, reel, and timecode as supported via MetaCheater (see MetaCheater thread in Avid forum). In a couple weeks I will have a RedCine XML to ALE converter ready which will carry everything you see in the XML as well as offset counts for IN and OUT points. Once we get the metadata and essence into the system, we will work on the export Pull List version in the same format returning all the metadata as captured from initial import.

Michael
 
We imported it in Media Composer on PC without problem (although it does not do fast import) and it all works fine as far as the resulting TC in 25fps in the Avid.
Arno
www.locared.com

Bonjour Arno,

I did not understand. Did you create DNxHD QT in REDCINE and then imported these files recreating a new QT in DNxHD format in the MXF folder?

Or did you drag and drop the REDCINE DNxHD files?
How did you create the master clips, so it appears as a clip in the bin?

Thanks.

Patrick
 
Patrick,
I had to import the files in the Avid and it did a full import (i.e. encoding them a second time to be part of the MXF Folder). There is no way right now to do what is called by Avid a "Fast Import" or to indicate a storage folder as you would do with DVCProHD MXF P2 files.
All together you have to account for at least a 8:1 time ratio for this all process.
Arno
www.locared.com
 
It shouldn't be doing a second encode. The QT wrapped DNxHD has already done the encode during the RedCine process. Why it's not doing a fast import needs to be looked at, but it should just be a copy to MXF wrapped essence. Iwill look into that side of things.

Michael
 
Michael, indeed that's a bit weird that it doest not do a fast import but I've tried tons of different settings with DNxHD and it never gives me a fast import.
Thanks for looking into it cause it will reduce a lot the post process.
Regards,
Arno
www.locared.com
 
Back
Top