Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Processing Time Question....

Nicholas Shields

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm using a top-of-the-line macpro going to an 8-drive raid and in redcine my processing time going from 4k to 720p prores is approx. 20:1. I'm hearing some people are getting 4:1. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some hidden settings I need to know about. There isn't even a full page of directions in the Red manual for this program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.
 
Redcine is a weird beast. The trick is to match your display settings to your rendering settings. While your rendering out files Redcine wastes process on rendering the display image as well, doubling or worse the load on the computer.

I don't have the thread handy but try searching about it and you'll find the list of best performing combinations. (for 720p standard debayer I set it to 1/4 high)
 
I'm using a top-of-the-line macpro going to an 8-drive raid and in redcine my processing time going from 4k to 720p prores is approx. 20:1. I'm hearing some people are getting 4:1. Am I doing something wrong?

Is this for offline or final-quality?

Offline-quality exports can use Process Draft; which dramatically speeds up the decode time. Onlines will need a higher-quality (and therefore slower) decode.

The process setting is in the Output panel.
 
I'm processing to ProRes HQ - for on-line quality. I set the project at 720p as well as my output settings. The conversion times are ridiculous! Are there some "secret" settings I'm missing? I can't believe that one hour of footage should take 20 hours to render.

Thanks in advance,

Nick.
 
what is your display quality setting in RedCine? this can be found on the left side of the project settings tab. default i think is 1/2 res high? try lowering what you have.

you say you have a top end mac - how much ram? 32gb? do you have a capture card installed? which graphics card?
 
Match the display settings to the render quality:

To do a full debayer, set the output quality to Full and set the display quality to Full High.

To do a standard debayer (1/2 quality - same quality as the _H.mov proxies), set the output quality to Standard and set the display quality to 1/2 High.

To do a draft debayer (only recommended if you're doing offline dailies to DV), set output to Draft and display to 1/4 High.

If your display settings don't match the output debayer quality, your render times will increase. Also, rendering overlays (window burn, letterbox quides, etc..) increases render times.

Standard debayer will give you the 4:1 render times. Full debayer will take 16:1 on an 8-core Mac Pro. Draft to SD (DV) is slightly faster than realtime. Processing speeds up with 3K and 2K footage.
 
To do a standard debayer (1/2 quality - same quality as the _H.mov proxies), set the output quality to Standard and set the display quality to 1/2 High.

A standard debayer is not the same as the proxies. The proxies do not go through any debayer process, they go through a quick reconstruction algorithm that does not do any processing. While the Standard debayer is not as effective as the Full debayer, it is indeed doing debayer processing and the images it produces will exhibit fewer artifacts and proper antialiasing when compared to the proxies. How much better the images are depends on your format, your monitoring, your expectations, your material, and your eyes.
 
Back
Top