Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Problem Red One Footages / weird layers in dark areas

Sébastien Casino

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi All,

I'm having problems with some R3D footages. Attached a screen capture.
It shows some kind of layers in some parts, mainly the darker areas instead of smooth fades.
Most of the footages that day, in day light don't have that issue.

It was shot with Red One Not MX, on 4,5K. The problem appears everywhere (RCX - PP - AE) on the Raw image either I color correct it or not.

While I was editing (with native R3D footages), I thought it would disappear during export, but it doesn't.

Maybe it happened to someone here before ?

Thanks for your help.
Seb.
 

Attachments

  • Al-capture-problem.jpg
    Al-capture-problem.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
I think its the camera's way of resolving when there isn't enough information. It usually happens to me when there isn't enough light hitting the sensor
 
If the camera is massively underexposed there may not be enough color information in all three channels to avoid posterisation as the code values of certain areas are all too close together with not enough variation to create graduated tones - basically you had nowhere near enough light hitting the sensor, and then are raising up those values in post from the sensor native ISO further compounding the issue, where the norm would be to crush the dark areas back down into blackness because they are so underexposed. Compression is likely exacerbating this.
 
It is a simple 8-bit display issue, on a 10 bit display the banding will disappear.
 
Back
Top