Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Pre Record Issues

Russell Houghten

Active member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.russellhoughten.com
I have an epic and epic-dragon body that I have been using for about 2-3 years each. Pre-Record worked flawlessly for the first year or so then out of nowhere failed every few attempts or after leaving pre record in standby for a few minutes. I usually get "audio buffer error" then the camera shuts off. I am running 6x 128gb 1.8" ssds on both and have the issue with every card I have also tried friends 1.8" ssds which were like new and still have the issue. I always secure format which is what Red suggested but this doesn't help. Is anyone else having these issues and have they found a solution? Was thinking of upgrading the side modules to mini mag and getting new mini mags but I don't feel like this is the issue and it will be an expensive fix. It seems like a firmware issue that was released a year or two ago.
 
i was having this constantly after my upgrade to dragon.... i had to send my camera back to get fixed.... i still have errors now and then but its wayyyyy less frequent now
 
According to release notes with latest firmware for Dragon you should "secure format" your mags before using Pre-record.

I shoot Dragon and use Pre-record a lot (wild life). First year I never had issues, but this has changed. While on pre-record the camera sometimes shut down due to errors. I tried to figure it out and reported it to red. I also started to for 'secure-format'. Recently my camera 'ate' one of my REDMAGS (240 GB: 2 years old :cry:) due to camera shutdown while on pre-record (It was securely formatted). I send that MAG to RED. Verdict: the mag is definitely dead!

I think it is related to the in-camera-temperature-management, but RED has not confirmed that.

Like Severin I now minimize the problem by keeping the sensor temperature a bit lower. (also secure format).
 
I experienced a bunch of crashes when I was out using pre record as well. Then I changed the fan so that it was stronger and then it stopped. Temperature was around 55-60 degrees as I remember.
Seems as if the pre record feature may need some tweaking. We are using MX Epic btw.

/Andreas
 
Back
Top