Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Operating temperatures?

Jeff Kilgroe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
17,055
Reaction score
42
Points
48
Location
Colorado
I don't know if this has been addressed before anywhere... Or even if it's fully known yet. But what are the acceptable operational temps for the RED One and companion accessories like the battery and RED Drive?

Is my RED going to die a horrible death when I have it out in -25F for 8 hours shooting freestyle snowboard events at night? Is it going to melt on me at 118F in the Arizona desert?

...Yes, both scenarios are realistic. I've been doing lots of cold weather shooting with my HVX and it handles it like a trooper with the P2 cards.
 
I'm pretty sure I read that Jim said somewhere that you can use the RED in outerspace.
 
I think that the look of the camera itself should tell us a few things, haha...
 
I would imagine that more information on this kind of topic will become available once they start thrashing Spike - now that all the components are in the case issues like temperature dispersion can start to be assessed more accurately, although of course they may well make modifications based on experience with the prototype to improve any shortcomings for the production model...
 
Keep in mind that this is also an issue for both film and HD cameras. We usually put a heated barney on a camera in extreme cold and put a silvered space blanket or white barney on a camera in the desert. The Red will likely need to be treated with care just as other cameras will be. I'm sure the team will design performance on a par with other camera systems.
Cheers,
Harry
 
Back
Top