Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Nikon lenses on Red Raven via adapter?

Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.heb2.tv
Quick question for those who know --

What is the best solution currently available for attaching Nikon F mount lenses to the Raven's EF mount?
(for an entirely manual operation, of course)

Any known compatibility issues for certain lenses?

Thanks in advance,
M'
 
You're not going to like my answer but the best option is to buy Canon glass. I used my Nikon glass when I had my R1, but when the Epic arrived with the Canon mount first, I made the switch. You'll really be missing out on the features of the camera if you dig your heels in and go manual. Foolcontrol is a wonderful addition and being able to operate your lenses remotely is worth the switchover.

My .02.
 
You may take a look at the Novoflex adaptors. Found a test here:
https://photographylife.com/reviews/novoflex-nikon-canon-lens-adapter
Not as sturdy as a proper mount, but with raven you don´t have the option. Handling, especially taking the lens off is a bit fiddly but otherwise OK. Take Marks advice regarding Canon glass if you intend to use modern glass. For the vintage F lenses I can understand your research, love the look of my older AI/AIs lenses. Have fun!

Cheers
Ulf
 
I have a couple of different nikon to ef adapters for manual operation. They all work, but the cheaper you go the harder it is to put the adapter on/off the nikon lens. I find it easiest to get multiple cheap cheap adapters and just keep them on the lens. Only about 1/3 of my nikon lenses work well in manual mode though (mostly the pre 1970 lenses). I have had to do "minor" surgery on some of my old lens rings to get them to go onto adapters (i.e. actually break off little flaps that didn't align with the adapters - hate doing this but I wouldn't use the lenses otherwise).

Long term it's worth the money going scarlet-w if your going to stay pure nikon, most of my goto nikon lenses require the electronics now.
 
You're not going to like my answer but the best option is to buy Canon glass. I used my Nikon glass when I had my R1, but when the Epic arrived with the Canon mount first, I made the switch. You'll really be missing out on the features of the camera if you dig your heels in and go manual. Foolcontrol is a wonderful addition and being able to operate your lenses remotely is worth the switchover.

My .02.

I totally agree, in my opinion, canon glass is far superior to nikon's in terms of cinema. I would think most others agree. At this point that you are entering the RED ecosystem, you will begin to find many more people using either glass from canon and PL based. All other forms are barely wanted on camera systems. So I suggest you start to think about switching over to canon or PL glass to save yourself money for the future. Let's be honest though, Nikon is meant for photography anyways, hence, why they show no effort in filmmaking (no cinema cameras, no cine lenses) and many pro grade accessories won't be suitable for those lenses ie: follow focus, mattebox. No hate, just pointing out that certain things aren't meant for... You guessed it, certain things.
 
Thanks to everyone who gave their two cents. I'm still however sticking with my original question regarding the best way to use Nikon F lenses on the EF mount -- I use Nikon cameras for stills and would prefer to invest in lenses that could be used for both motion capture and photography (and the PL ecosystem is beyond my means). Nikon lenses can (theoretically) be adapted to work on other cameras, while Canon's cannot. I'm also less trusting of lenses that require electronics for basic operation (such as adjusting the iris)...

Does anyone have any experience with modern Nikon F lenses (the fully manual ones, not the G series) and EF mount adapters? I wouldn't want to do any sort of 'surgery' to the lenses (As Patrick called it) to get them to fit.

Hey, if it's not feasible it's not feasible -- but I'm keen on sticking to a single lens format.

Thanks again --
M'
 
I used a Novoflex adaptor for my Nikkors before I bought a manual Nikon Mount from Optitek. I was able to use all my glass (which included a lot of lenses that won´t mount on the original RED Nikon mount without modification). I also wholeheartedly disagree with Erick regarding the cinematic look of Nikon glass, totally depends on what you´re shooting. Having access to the electronic control is a big plus though.
 
I have used this for a few years. It works well with my 1970s and 80s Nikkor lenses, which of course are manual.
1384193246000_995120.jpg


B&H has them here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995120-REG/fotodiox_nk_eos_p_pro_canon_eos_camera.html
 
If you want to swap back and forth regularly, Fotodiox Pro... if you dont have to do it on the same day you are shooting with the Red system, cheaper ones, and carry a couple spares. If you don't think nikons look cinematic, I suggest you think again. They are the lenses that were used on the most intense vis fx shots for decades.
I have nikon, canon, zeiss, and cooke lenses in my hoard, and they all do a great job for me. Also... they are full frame lenses with great coatings and mechanical construction. There is no reason to ditch them.. (PM me if you are throwing them away. I accept donations).
The wider ones are likely to be slower than current L glass, but with the w chip, that's no longer the lighting circumstance required by the MX chip.
 
Sorry if I hit a little hard, I didn't mean that Nikon Glass couldn't deliver great cinematic results, rather to make a point clearer that nikon is not focused at this particular field so there would be a stronger benefit to switch then stay on the F platform. There is no clear evidence that Nikon is looking a deliver a dedicated cine lens or anything like that any time soon or at all. And generally, canon glass is still more preceded for video shooting than Nikon

I used a Novoflex adaptor for my Nikkors before I bought a manual Nikon Mount from Optitek. I was able to use all my glass (which included a lot of lenses that won´t mount on the original RED Nikon mount without modification). I also wholeheartedly disagree with Erick regarding the cinematic look of Nikon glass, totally depends on what you´re shooting. Having access to the electronic control is a big plus though.
 
For just a regular Nikon F to Canon EF adapter, I recommend the Vello:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742913-REG/Vello_LA_CEF_NAF_Canon_EOS_To_Nikon.html

There was an issue with other cheap Nikon F to Canon adapters on Zeiss ZF glass (I think the 35mm F/2) because the holes didn't align exactly, but the Vello was perfect when I used to use Zeiss ZF glass.

For Nikon G to Canon EF, with aperture control, I suggest the Novoflex:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724050-REG/Novoflex_EOSNIK_NT_EOS_NIK_NT_Lens_Adapter_for.html

I've tried cheaper adapters with aperture control, but the aperture would shift and rock back and forth as you pull focus, which is completely unacceptable. The Novoflex stays secure. I use this on my Nikon mount Sigma Art glass with my DSMC Canon mount.
 
I have found Novaflex EF to Nikon to work well. I would suggest to get an adaptor that can still control the aperture of Gelded lenses - G adaptor.
One disadvantage of Nikon is that the focus throw is the opposite to PL, Canon, Leica the list goes on...so focus pullers are not going to be a fan of your Nikon glass.
I personally prefer Nikon still cameras and own Nikon glass but I will use EF lenses on my Scarlet to try to help myself and others pull focus.
 
Back
Top