Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

News...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the problems are completely solvable... whew!

When this is all over and done (product in production and deliveries underway) I'd love to give a recap of some the process we had to go through. It might make for interesting reading... we'll maybe for a couple of people.

I expect (with all the tradional precautions) that we will be able to give a locked down schedule in 5 weeks (your number). But, remember that things can change... :-)

Jim
 
I never had a doubt. Of course I just have to sit here doing nothing ;)

All the problems are completely solvable... whew!

When this is all over and done (product in production and deliveries underway) I'd love to give a recap of some the process we had to go through. It might make for interesting reading... we'll maybe for a couple of people.

I expect (with all the tradional precautions) that we will be able to give a locked down schedule in 5 weeks (your number). But, remember that things can change... :-)

Jim
 
Wow...

Thanks Jim! I'm going into "shut up" mode for a while then while you find new and improved ways to threaten the families of the suppliers that are holding things up. (Horse heads in people's beds have been done... So you know) Some day it would be cool to talk on the phone or something.. Hope that can happen...

Jay
 
All the problems are completely solvable... whew!

I expect (with all the tradional precautions) that we will be able to give a locked down schedule in 5 weeks (your number). But, remember that things can change... :-)

Jim

Great news !!!!
Try to keep all these problems in your calendar so when everything will be fine you could refresh your memory and give a smile.....:spidy:
 
CJ,

You're a relatively early res holder who by the original timetable posted would have received your camera sometime in August. There's been no indication that those cameras originally scheduled for August delivery won't meet that timeframe, so why jump to conclusions that yours won't be delivered sometime in August as originally announced?

Hi Gibby,

For clarification, when I first reserved my camera, the estimated (although subject to change) date was 1st quarter '07. The pre-NAB delivery schedule was June. I was never told an August date, so I'm unsure of where that came from.

As for the conclusions... what conclusions? I have not pulled my order, have not convinced anyone else to pull theirs. I have voiced a mild concern, which has been the very same concern clients have voiced to me. I'm not out of line and this is not Red-bashing. I'm sure if Red knew when they could deliver, they would inform us. The fact that we have not been informed, is what concerns me.

If this is not the appropriate board to discuss this, then I apologize and feel free to delete my comments.

Thanks.

-CJ Roy
 
All the problems are completely solvable... whew!
When this is all over and done (product in production and deliveries underway) I'd love to give a recap of some the process we had to go through. It might make for interesting reading... we'll maybe for a couple of people.

I expect (with all the tradional precautions) that we will be able to give a locked down schedule in 5 weeks (your number). But, remember that things can change... :-)

Jim


There you go, that is fantastic news indeed. Worries gone for everybody.

Mike the beginner
 
CJ,

You're a relatively early res holder who by the original timetable posted would have received your camera sometime in August.
In CJ's defense, the timetable released around NAB indicated that the first 100 cameras were scheduled for a June release, not August. We are all aware that these things can happen and the entire RED team has been extremely forthright during this whole process that things can ("and will") change. There's nothing that anyone should be holding against them in that regard.

However, when the original schedule was posted, most of the early serial number holders (myself included) took that as a pretty solid indication of when we could expect our cameras, as they have met (or exceeded!) all of their target dates so far. I am extremely happy to hear that any potential bumps in the road have been smoothed out, but if it's going to be another 5 weeks before a new schedule is even posted, that puts us 3/4 of the way through June as it is - the period where several of us were originally expecting to already have our cameras. So as much as I don't fault RED for their delays (I honestly think I educate people about their system and sing their praises just about more than anyone), I also don't think it's helpful to make excuses on their behalf. Hopefully we'll hear more soon... the clients are definitely barking. :-)

This whole discussion is clearly all about perspective; the later your serial number, the less of a chance you even have of being affected by the delay at all (which is why the majority of the posts on this topic defending the delay are by serial holders much later in the game who have little or nothing riding on the timetable). As one of the very first reservation holders and earliest believers in the project, it does matter to me when the camera is released and I feel like I shouldn't be penalized the most for being one of the first in line. That being said, I know that Jim & Co. are doing everything they can and will release it when they are ready. I think a lot of us just got really excited at the prospect of the original timetable, which in hindsight, probably was biting off a little more than they could chew. All of this will be moot by the end of the year; I'm just dissapointed that there are several summer projects which could have greatly benefitted from using RED that will probably have to go back to the original 35mm plans due to nonavailability. Nothing I'm doing is RIDING on RED... but I for one would prefer to use it more than anything else. I do believe it represents a big shift in the choices that we have as filmmakers. That's why I'm here, and that's why I have put so much time and passion into this project! :-)
 
their praises just about more than anyone), I also don't think it's helpful to make excuses on their behalf. Hopefully we'll hear more soon... the clients are definitely barking. :-)

As an aside, I've actually agreed with a lot of what you've said Jay, but I find it funny to read posts like:

If it's not in your hands, then, why would you be locking a schedule in 5 weeks? :bleh:

I RELEASE schdule you smart ass.. Not a SHOOTING schedule!!

:tongue:
 
Hi Gibby,

For clarification, when I first reserved my camera, the estimated (although subject to change) date was 1st quarter '07. The pre-NAB delivery schedule was June. I was never told an August date, so I'm unsure of where that came from.

As for the conclusions... what conclusions? I have not pulled my order, have not convinced anyone else to pull theirs. I have voiced a mild concern, which has been the very same concern clients have voiced to me. I'm not out of line and this is not Red-bashing. I'm sure if Red knew when they could deliver, they would inform us. The fact that we have not been informed, is what concerns me.

If this is not the appropriate board to discuss this, then I apologize and feel free to delete my comments.

Thanks.

-CJ Roy

CJ,

As you mentioned, effectively no delivery schedule with numbers was given until the one before NAB. I misread your reservation number, and the pre-NAB schedule has been taken down. Thus the "August". My bad. If you re-read your post, it does sounds like you had come to a conclusion that your camera wouldn't deliver on time. At the time your post, and mine referring to it, were made, Jim Jannard had not posted his update about potentially expecting a lockin schedule in 5 weeks (around 6/17). There's nothing in my post that accused you of "RED bashing".

We have now been informed that we can probably expect a locked in schedule in about 5 weeks. That should help everyone's planning. As a producer/director I regularly have to shift to a temporary Plan B, as I'm sure you do too.
 
When this is all over and done (product in production and deliveries underway) I'd love to give a recap of some the process we had to go through. It might make for interesting reading... we'll maybe for a couple of people.
Jim

I REALLY want to read this recap..... I bet it's been a wild ride so far.

Jay
 
I RELEASE schdule you smart ass.. Not a SHOOTING schedule!!

:tongue:
Sorry Jay, I misunderstood your post. The first part was about shooting schedules, and I didn't see the transition clearly. I apologize.

I still think that the higher the reservation number, the less people seem to care about the delay(s)... which is only logical and makes sense. If you're number 300+ on the list, then Mike is probably right... there's no reason to lose sleep over it at all. It's the earlier serial numbers that have more of a stake in when the initial release happens.
 
C'mon Haakon, tell it like it is...Jay you're a pain in the _ _ _ !

:whistling: :biggrin:

(you know I'm kidding, right?)
 
Thank you Jim for the feedback and your continued presence here. I find it reassuring to know you're there listening. I also have people asking me: "so when's that camera coming?". Right now I'm pretty relaxed, I say it was never meant to arrive before August, and it may be delayed. I certainly hope not by too much however.

To all my fellow res holders, I'm eagerly awaiting for a new delivery scedule, but I understand two things. The first is that the next schedule better hold, so we don't get disapointed and to not feed the nay sayers with arguments. The second thing is, the camera better live up to expectations right from the get go, too many problems may kill this project.

So, let's breath slowly and steadily and give Jim and team our support, because that's all we can do.

Cheers,
Damien
I second you. The Jim's presence here is the most important proof that's not a Kinetta -- period.

I'd prefer if we all might think 2008 as a new target date and -- if it would be possible to deliver first, we all would be surprised by Jim once again. Although an accurate schedule would still be better. But please don't push earlier dates. We need a powerful RED ONE, not in a hurry-piece-of-hassles!
 
Ok.. That's the last straw.. You better lay down Gib, cause you already dead!!!

(I love that threat!!)

This is a fun thread...

:usd:

:cold: :gun: :rip_1:

(LOL!)
 
As for the conclusions... what conclusions? I have not pulled my order, have not convinced anyone else to pull theirs. I have voiced a mild concern, which has been the very same concern clients have voiced to me. I'm not out of line and this is not Red-bashing. I'm sure if Red knew when they could deliver, they would inform us. The fact that we have not been informed, is what concerns me.

completely there i am.. yoda says i'd have had different plans for my 2007 if i had guess this uncertain delay.. early 2007 it already was.. it has been changed for late 2007.. 6 months later.. at least..
 
completely there i am.. yoda says i'd have had different plans for my 2007 if i had guess this uncertain delay.. early 2007 it already was.. it has been changed for late 2007.. 6 months later.. at least..


I don't want to flop around here, but seriously guys, Jim used everything short of smoke signals to say the dates were not set in stone. When the first schedule, and every schedule after that came out, he said the dates were subject to change.

What we're talking about here is the "unspoken intent". In other words, Jim EXPECTED his schedule to work and the fact that it did not go the way he wanted it was the cause for my note that started this..

HOWEVER: Anyone making any type of plans on the prior schedule does so at his own risk.

Let's look at this from a business perspective and put it to rest go I can go back to threatening Gibby...:

What we know:

All current issues RED is having in engineering have CONFIRMED solutions. There is nothing stopping them in that way (If I understood Jim correctly).

Jim feels reasonably safe saying he can provide a locked schedule within 5 weeks.

So there you go.. It's not a question of "if" it's just "when" and the "when" does not seem that bad.

Hope this helps

Jay

Now Gibby....:ninja: :gun: :pirate: :rip_1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top