Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

New Netflix Show - The Get Down

Andrew Rieger

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pasadena, CA
Shot on Dragon - trailer here:
 
I am telling you Netflix is king now HBO you had your reign but you lost your crown!!!
 
For the 70s feel it maybe lacks grainy texture or really old vintage lenses, but all the rest is there!
 
For the 70s feel it maybe lacks grainy texture or really old vintage lenses, but all the rest is there!
I'll have to wait to judge the texture until seeing it on TV but my guess is maybe that was too obvious for them, too cliche. Maybe they wanted to look at the 70's through the eyes of a 21st century audience. In other words, the clothes, the hair, the smoke, etc. all sing 1970s but if you lived through that time period you wouldn't experience it with grainy texture. Many of us have just experienced the 70s via the medium prevalent at the time, hence our equating the time period with that texture. Guess we'll have to see how it plays. But honestly if I was shooting this and wanted to match the feel of 70s film, I would shoot it on film stock of that time period. But I'm sure the look here is probably intentional.
 
I'll have to wait to judge the texture until seeing it on TV but my guess is maybe that was too obvious for them, too cliche. Maybe they wanted to look at the 70's through the eyes of a 21st century audience. In other words, the clothes, the hair, the smoke, etc. all sing 1970s but if you lived through that time period you wouldn't experience it with grainy texture. Many of us have just experienced the 70s via the medium prevalent at the time, hence our equating the time period with that texture. Guess we'll have to see how it plays. But honestly if I was shooting this and wanted to match the feel of 70s film, I would shoot it on film stock of that time period. But I'm sure the look here is probably intentional.



I agree it didnt feel period at all.. it screamed dragon as well
 
I don't know why this show hasn't been talked about more on this forum. I absolutely love the cinematography (as well as the editing and production design).

I needed 15 minutes to 'get into' the pilot but after that, I really loved it a lot (it happens to a lot of other Baz Luhrman-stuff for me). Very cinematic. Feels very fresh and daring. In my opinion, the images are just beautiful.
 
I have to agree that it is a great looking show. Great cinematography, loved the production design as well. It is maybe my favorite part. Also fun to see how they made fake versions of actual old-school graffiti writers. I also appreciate the attempt to make a love story \ rags to riches story in the world of 70's South Bronx. It was a fascinating time in many ways. My only hesitation is the Hip-Hop history aspect of it leaves a lot to be desired. But still an entertaining watch. I'm looking forward to the next batch of episodes.
 
Back
Top