Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Need to buy a new matte box today! Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom or Tilta MB-T12

Santos Ramos

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Hello everyone,

I need to get a 4X5.65 matte box today or tomorrow.

I do mostly run and gun filming and I'm planing to use the camera on the kessler second shooter.

I was about to buy the Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom but than I saw Tilta MB-T12 on ebay for $560.

At the moment I don't use rotating filters and the filter I use the most is the 1.2 ND.

Ebay link


Are there there are any other matte box I should consider?

Thanks for your help!
 
I bought that tilta as a matte box for my b-camera. I couldn't be happier. Buy the tilta. It's really well made, it's basically a copy of the arri, and it can not be beat for the price point. I think the whole thing costs less than a set of arri hard mattes. You will not be dissapointed.

Nick
 
Thanks you very much for the help.

All the options look great, I will have to think hard about this one!
 
Tilta is a great budget option. I had one for a bit. It's heavy, and large, but it's still a durable pretty well built mattebox. I just bought the Brigt Tangerine Viv to replace the Tilta. It's much lighter, I can use it with wide angle lenses (as wide as 14mm would the some sets) which I couldn't do with the Tilta. I much prefer the bright tangerine. I will not need to buy a mattebox for a very long time. The dovetail to go from clamp on to studio setup in seconds is absolutely awesome. If you've got the money to spend the BT will be well worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I didn't look at the link. That model Tilta looks decent for a clamp on. Definitely lighter than their larger 4 X 5.65 box. Swing away is a big deal for me, but if you're mostly using zooms it would be hard to beat that Tilta for the price.
 
Thank you very much for the great information Drew.

I will read more Brigt Tangerine reviews!

Thanks!
 
Thank you Chad!

I'm in Maryland but thanks!

Too bad the Bright Tangerine stopped the discounts.

Santos

If your in LA I have a VIV if you want to check one out in person or BT will be at cinegear next weekend
 
I have an OBox deluxe kit for sale, perfect condition, $1100. Top flag, side flags, 15mm lightweight mount, trays, fabric donuts, etc. if you're interested. I'd take it over a Tilta and is more versatile than the misfit atom
 
I was just in this same scenario and bought the Tilta. you can't beat it for the price. Nice build quality and comes with all clamp on sizes and 15mm rail adaptor
 
OBox is nice, but a bit hefty for what it is. I am not a fan of their swing-away setup, it's wiggles about too much like a lot of cheaper matte boxes.

If you have the budget, the Bright Tangerine is the way to go.

Saw the Wooden Camera mattebox at NAB and liked what I saw of it there.

Never used a Tilta, so don't know...

Sorry to add to the noise here, but this is really just a +1 for the Bright Tangerine.
 
First choice no doubt would be Bright Tangerine... No Doubt!

Both Tilta and Wooden camera MB's are also worth a look, depending on specific needs and budget...

The O'Connor O-Box is also a nice design, but a bit different form the others and specific to some needs, one of them been the adaptation of handles strait on it.


But given weight, sturdiness, design, applications, configurations, usefulness of futures considered, then again, BT stands first on my list...
 
Question - do most you use the side flags? Or just the top one? There's a Tilta I like, but it doesn't come with side flags just the top one. Cheers
 
I hate the plastic filter trays in the obox. They flex and the filters can fall out (I chipped a $450 ND because it fell out of the filter tray while removing it from the box recently)

I haven't tried the tilta but have been impressed by the build quality of their stuff

My reco would be a used Bright Tangerine in whatever flavor suits your style. Everything they make is incredible and the best of the best. You can get a used VIV with top and side flags and donuts for as cheap as $1200. Or a misfit atom if you need lightweight and only use 4x4 or 4x5.65 and don't need the 138mm option. I have both and love them. The Strummer DNA is incredible but is a beast only for the studio.
 
Back
Top