Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Necessities for the most baseline RED One/RED One MX kit

Ian_I

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello REDUser Peeps,

I am fairly new to the world of RED and need some help in finding out what I need to get started. I know there is a forum thread for this already, but I am strictly looking for the absolute basics at this point.
I've shot some stuff on RED, via other DPs, but I can't stress enough how badly I want to ditch my DSLR and finally take a shot at the big leagues.

I've seen pretty good packages listed on eBay and Craigslist in the $3,000 - $4,500 range. However, when I read the list of gear they come with, I feel like some things are missing. I just don't know what because I don't know what I need vs. what are unnecessary accessories for a beginner.

Is it even feasible to build a ready to shoot kit for $3,000 - $4,000?

Here's what I have gathered when reading up in terms of what I need to start:

-RED Brain/Body (duh)
-SSD or card reader attachment and compatible cards
-Batteries and charging station
-RED Pro Monitor
-Lenses with proper mount and/or adapter
-Cage and rail system

So, is there anything crucial that I am missing/not considering?
Once again, just looking for basic shooting at this point. No need for fancy anamorphic adapters, REDmote, or upgrades.

Thank you for your time and hopefully I don't sound like too much of a n00b.
 
Hey Ian_I

I'm relatively new to this world as well, so I don't know how much weight my words will have, but hopefully it'll be of some use. It seems like what you've listed covers most of the essentials. I know for the SSDs you will have to have a red downloading station/device if you decide to go that route. For Red One, you may want to look to see if the unit is being sold with a breakout box that allows you to use regular BNC. Or you can get the adapters. Also I think an AC power supply would be something you should really consider. When I was shopping around, I didn't find any ready to go kits in the 3000-4000 price range. They were more towards 5000-7000. One last thing, you probably already know this, but you should factor in the ownership transfer fee into your costs. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sam
 
Are you looking for a Red One or a DSMC such as Scarlet?

Easier to find Red One in that price range. Most basic kit to be able to shoot something

- Red One body
- Red 16GB CF card (I would go SSD though but the CF is cheaper)
- Red 5.6" LCD
- Nikon Mount
- V mount battery
- Cheap zoom (I think the Nikon 35-70 f3.5 is a fun lens to play around with. you could also get a 50mm 1.4 fairly cheap)

In theory you could be operational with this setup. But of course, for practical applications you'll want to get more batteries, more media, support gear like tripod, more lenses, etc. All of that adds up quick. So keep an eye on complete packages that have all that stuff and it will get you up and running immediately.

and definitely do the owner transfer if possible. I would think it would be a much better experience.
 
Are you looking for a Red One or a DSMC such as Scarlet?

Easier to find Red One in that price range. Most basic kit to be able to shoot something

- Red One body
- Red 16GB CF card (I would go SSD though but the CF is cheaper)
- Red 5.6" LCD
- Nikon Mount
- V mount battery
- Cheap zoom (I think the Nikon 35-70 f3.5 is a fun lens to play around with. you could also get a 50mm 1.4 fairly cheap)

In theory you could be operational with this setup. But of course, for practical applications you'll want to get more batteries, more media, support gear like tripod, more lenses, etc. All of that adds up quick. So keep an eye on complete packages that have all that stuff and it will get you up and running immediately.

and definitely do the owner transfer if possible. I would think it would be a much better experience.

In order to use the CF card you would need "CF side module" and for SSD an "SSD side module"
To use a Vmount battery, you would need a Red Vmount battery plate.
The camera is a bitof a pain to use without a top handle and one of those things it screws into too.

Freya
 
Hi Ian,

This is my recommendation to you, please use it just as another feedback:

- Red One MX body (with CF or SSD module), there is one available in ebay for $3,100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-One-MX-...525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a99dfca45

- Red Drive, they show up on ebay time to time, just keep looking, their price is around $200 to $350.

- Red Drive Cable, around $110.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-ONE-DRIVE-CABLE-RED-ONE-MX-Mysterium-/252051937740?hash=item3aaf7759cc

- Red 5.6" LCD, around $500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-PRO-5-6...PIC-SCARLET-/271948860096?hash=item3f516a4ac0

- Red LCD Cable, around $80 to $120.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-ONE-Epi...Right-Angle-/252051943433?hash=item3aaf777009

- Red cradle, there is a cheap one at $260, usually it is around $350.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-CRADLE-...t-MX-Dragon-/371406442887?hash=item56798c9187

- V mount batteries, there are several models out there, just find the one right for your budget.

- Red One Top handle, around $200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-One-top...e-extension-/252051785166?hash=item3aaf7505ce

- Nikon Mount for Red One, around $400.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-mount...Mysterium-X-/131549540167?hash=item1ea0f6af47

- Nikon Zoom Nikkor 35-70 f2.8, there is one in a bid now, you could probably get one very cheap, normal price around $300.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Zoom-Nikkor-35-70-mm-F-2-8-D-AF-Lens-/221846271477?hash=item33a71175f5

The total cost is [FONT=&quot]around $5,150 to $5,430 plus battery cost[/FONT].

There are also some packages offered in ebay which could be cheaper, just keep looking and you can find a good deal soon, but make sure you buy it from a seller with 100% feedback.

Regards!
Marcel.
 
Thank you everyone for your responses!
This is very helpful.
Knowing that I won't be ready to shoot until I spend around $5,000 is a little discouraging, but at least it's a goal to work towards.
If anyone is in the LA area that may want to work something out in trade for my gear, etc., please let me know!

And LOL @ZebB
 
barbra holler has some cheap red one kits for sale, as does FJS, or westcoastcine. i was surprised honestly how cheap a shootable package could be had for, plus its a small mark up to deal with reputable sellers vs total random strangers...unless the stranger comes recommended and whatnot its kind of a sketchy area as far as just making sure the sales go down legit. I've never had issues but I'm so paranoid i literally bought a scarlet piece by piece and talked the owner into sending me a ton of accessories no cash down to prove himself lol! other time i traded mags with someone after getting theres in the mail...recently bought an amira that was shipped before i paid in full, but that was a mistake not a request on my part that time...boy I've had a lucky streak huh?
 
This one is maybe not strictly necessary, but I would add some kind of cheap mic with XLR output that you can strap to the camera for scratch audio while recording.
 
Well, as someone who has assembled an R1 around one of the BT bodies offered a while back (I selected SSD),
and has watched prices....
You'll rapidly want more than the basics.
The single most expensive factor can be lenses, if you stay in PL mount.
While I may eventually part with everything else, I am not willing to sell my PL Zeiss Primes and Cooke Zoom, even if they top out at 4.5k coverage in S35.

My list of things you'll need includes:

Cable Interfaces (BNC adapter is essential to avoid breaking the small connectors on the side of the body, HDMI right angle plug as well)

at least one viewing solution.. (if you start using the RED EVF or LCD with a shade, nothing else will please you. Since the SDI output is 720 on an R1, you may not be happy with pulling focus from this alone).
the hidden advantage to a Red product is that power is sent on the same cable as signal, saving you

MEDIA. for now, I own Red Drives, and rent SSD. I will move to owning SSD eventually. While I shoot projects alongside of someone who has 16GB CF cards, I feel limited by their storage capacity.

To hit your budget, You'll need to change the lens mount. The main choices are nikon mount (well supported, and simple) and aftermarket M42
The Birger Canon mount is worth researching, but was not approved, and takes you above your budget.

Support/Cage, etc
The 19mm rod production pack with shoulder wedge covers the camera well. It holds the drives and v-mount battery in the right place
You can get an aftermarket 19mm to LW15mm rod adapter and thus use lw mattebox and ff from dslr set up
You'll need at least one magic arm for your VF solution.

You will rapidly want top mounts and top handle

POWER. Cheapest will be an AC adapter
OR.. 4 pin XLR to Red adapter cable, and use a car battery in a boat battery box with a home made jumper.. it'll run all day, if not multiple days. charrgers are very cheap.

You cant afford an onboard solution at this price point.

TRIPOD/HEAD
not in your budget. this is a 25-30 pound set up.. you need a heavy duty solution.

LENSES:
I don't think you have enough money in your budget to buy any.
Nikon manual focus lenses look great, and are very reasonable in price. 24mm is about as wide as you will find affordable.

If you are up for going to aftermarket conversions of older glass.. then focal lengths of 50/58/80/120/180mm are available in East German Carl Zeiss manual focus at very fair prices.
you budget will not support 18mm to 35mm focal lengths in PL glass. also, you will be dealing with f2.8 glass
 
Last edited:
Back
Top